help with gas mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > help with gas mileage

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
badl

help with gas mileage

does anyone have advice for improving gas mileage on a 98 sahara? Wondering if all the parts that claim to improve fuel economy actually do (air filters, exhaust, TORNADO, ect)

badl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
91XJLimited

Intake and exhaust gave me noticable power increases, and about 2-3 more mpg in city. I dont personally have the Tornado, but many people, and even our local news station (news doesnt happen a lot in OK) say that the Tornado makes no difference whatsoever. Get the intake, exhaust, and headers if you like. I'm sure they will more than do what your looking for.

94 ZJ 5.2 Limited - 6.5" Teraflex lift, Clayton Long Arms, disconnects, 37x12.50 SSR's, Hummer Beadlocks, and more good stuff

[SIZE=4][URL=http://www.geocities.com/lovaboy1599/My_Jeeps.html][color=red]MY JEEPS[/color][/URL][/size]
91XJLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
Steve28

A Jacobs ignition would help IV been looking into getting one for my 89 and I have only herd good things about them
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

Not trying to be cocky, really, but good luck trying to improve mileage on any Jeep, LOL.

Honda Civic will help, as a starting point, LOL
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
evilpsych

ok here's the list on mine (so far)

hi-flow filter
MSD ignition w/ blaster 2 coil and magnecor spark plug wires.
spark plugs regapped to .050
borla header
carsound high-flow catalytic converter
borla cat back exhaust

havent installed the exhaust components yet, but i've noticed a huge difference with just the MSD ignition and regapped plugs. havent gone through enough gas to know of mileage improvements yet however.

you might also want to try replacing your fuel injectors as they may be clogged and worn out. Check your fuel lines also, there could be leaks. if you havent, it might be time to replace your O2 sensor. clean your throttle body. If you have oil in your air filter, spray carb cleaner into the tube going from the valve at the BACK of the valve cover into the intake manifold. Check your EGR canister. If it's full of liquid gas, you might wanna replace the charcoal and check the lines there.. check for vaccuum leaksas well.

Just basic maintenance will keep your rig working at full performance. If you've increased the size of your tires, replace the speedo gear so you get proper odometer and speedometer readings.

If you have a hard top, leave it on, the aerodynamics are better, you get better mileage than a soft top, and a soft top gets better mileage than no top at all. Expect mileage decreases of 5-10% with larger tires depending on your diff gearing. The added rotational weight decreases performance also. Lifts and high angles in your driveshafts also decrease performance

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
evilpsych

of course, a jeep is as aerodynamic as a sheet of plywood..

oh.. the exhaust manifold is prone to cracking.. check that as well and repair or replace it to gain back power and mileage

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
evilpsych

and avoid the throttle body spacer.. everyone i've talked to has said that it sucks the most.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.