Help with engine code I.D. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help with engine code I.D.

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help with engine code I.D.

I just bought an 85 Ford bronco. Just a parts donor. I know it has a 5.8 but not sure if it is a Windsor or Cleavland? The engine code in the vin is an H. Can someone help with that? Also I believe it has a 9" rear because it has a third member but I don't know anything about the 10.25". Well if thees are what I think they are they are worth the $200 I paid.

If this is correct I only need a front axle at this point. Well I would have to rebuild all of it but I'm closer.

89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Unless it has been swapped, it should be a Windsor
google an image, the engines are very different.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 9" and a 351W for $200 not too bad I think. I am also not going to need to smog because I live in an "Unimproved Area." Only smog when buying or selling and I ain't selling. So I get a front axle and a bell housing and start rebuilding all the collected parts. So far I have a '85 351W, '78 NP435 (way low first gear), '78 NP 205, and a '85 9" rear axle. My little red '89 YJ will be pretty well set. I'm thinking 35s, 4.88s, Detroit Locker rear and a ? selectable in the front axle what ever it happens to be. I would also like to find an NP203 to do a doubler eventually.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.