Help. Clunking noise when breaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help. Clunking noise when breaking

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
scubaluke

Help. Clunking noise when breaking

The other day I was driving and started hearing a clunking noise coming from the front left of the car. It only really made it when I was slowing down or breaking. Thought it mite have been the wheel bearing so I've replaced that and it's still doing it. Has anyone had this problem before and could help me?

scubaluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Year, model, miles??? Fill in your profile so we know what we're lookin at, helps give better answers. That said it could be many things. Bad u-joint, ball joint, shock, bushing, etc. Check everything.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
scubaluke

Sorry it's a 96 xj cherokee done about 300 000kms. It's making a whining noise at speed then as you slow down it clunks and makes a grinding noise seems to he worse the more I brake till I stop. Just not sure if I should continue driving on it or not.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dumb question, what do the brakes look like? Sounds like it could possibly be front diff related. You could also drain the diff fluid and see if there is anything going on inside. Don't know if it's your DD or not, but if it is you need to figure it out ASAP before it leaves you stranded.

Oh, check your unit bearings before you dive into the axle, too.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
scubaluke

Brakes look fine had them off today when replacing the bearing and hub. Il drain the diff and check bearings and everything and try not to drive it as much a possible fingers crossed its nothing major

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.