HELP! Cant get rear main bearing cap out... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HELP! Cant get rear main bearing cap out...

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

HELP! Cant get rear main bearing cap out...

doing a rms replacement, pulled the bearing cap girdle, and the rear main bearing cap wont budge or come out, trying not to use anything to nick the metal, but how to i get it out. It wont budge at all and i have to get it out to replace the bottom part of the seal. thanks

Unread 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
JeepinJordan
1996 ZJ 

Ok never mind.. got it out, hit my head on its way down. Lol. The seals are impossible to get out... any pointers...
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I usually use a small punch to try to push the seal up and around to the other side, sometimes you might have to tap on the punch a few times to get it to move, they are kind of tight. Be sure to pay attention to how the seal looks and put the new one in the right way.

I have known people to loosen the other main caps a little to get the crank to loosen slightly for help too, but I have never had to that. Make sure to put a small amount of sealant on the corners of where the rear cap goes to the block (behind the alignment dowels to rear face). And also be sure to put a small amount of sealant on all four corners of the pan gasket ( front cover and rear main cap corners )
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.