Help! 454 in a 78 cj 7? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help! 454 in a 78 cj 7?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-01-2002, 01:16 PM   #31
Spalding

Wow you guys are sure nice. Man I love being on a board with so many people who are total pricks!

First of all I have a Jeep, so I can and will say whatever I want.

Second thumbs up to Horatio. He is the only one of you morons that actually had FACTS to back up what he was saying, in fact all of his posts were completely related to the topic.

Subaruís rule!!!! Keep up the good work

Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:28 AM   #32
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
-How long did you spend on that reply?
Not sure, really. Five minutes?

Quote:
-How many times did you re-read it?
I didn't. If there are spelling or gramatical errors it's because I was in a hurry. I generally try my best to not let errors make it past my fingers the first time. How many times did you re-read it?

Quote:
This is great - I love how a persons goat can be gotten over such petty discussions - I bet your blood pressure was through the roof on that reply!!!!

Actually it wasn't. Be it here, the i-club, the ram board, or elsewhere, I don't let these things get to me. I find it funny.

Quote:
-Are there any replies to your Dodge question? No - point being that this a Jeep forum.

Are there any replies to my Dodge question? Yeah, there is one now. But the fact remains that the Grand Wagoneer and J series pickups are essentially the same platform as my Ram. Sure, the Ram is a little bigger and has a wider track, but that's about it. The 360 motor, the 727 torqueflight, the Dana front and rears... mechanically they're the same stuff. If you know how to make one of those FSJ's pass emissions, you probably can get a Ram to.

Quote:
-Do I really care about how you tote your plywood? No I do not - does anybody really care how you tote plywood?

No. And it's a good thing you don't, or I'd probably have to look into getting a restraining order.

Quote:
-Do I care about some Jeep you saw with 300k miles blah blah blah - No I do not.
Well maybe you should. You seem to be all bent out of shape about me not owning a Jeep. But I've made up my mind to keep the Ram for a while. If for some reason I feel that I can justify buying a third car, I'll pick up a wrangler. I rather like not having any car payments though, and since I'm taking time off of work to complete my education, I don't want to spend too much money.

Quote:
Dude - Your peers drive Dodge trucks and suburus because that is what you drive.
I know that some of my peers drive Subarus. That's why I would never ask a Subaru question here. If Jeep put Subaru running gear in one of their products, I might. But instead I'll keep the Subaru questions over at the i-club where there are over 12,000 members who can help me.
As far as the Dodge boys being my peers... yes and no. Yes because they drive Dodges. No because generally they're only interested in building the prettiest street 4x4. You guys are my peers because some of us share an interest in actually going out and going off-road.

Quote:
Please respond soon as I have allowed all of my Marines to have the day off so the office is empty - I cant wait to see how worked up you get!!!
I hope I didn't make you wait too long. I know how impatient you army boys are.

Quote:
Lastly - good one with the "trousertrout" comment - how long did it take to come up with that one?
That actually didn't tax my intellect at all. It took all of 5 seconds to pull that one out.

Quote:
Again - you give Mrs Smiths second grade class bully a run for his money on the name calling!!!!
Suburu? Dertboy? You must be the second grade bully I'm challenging.

(edit: removed extra ubb code)
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 04:19 AM   #33
MuddyCJ5

OK! I gotta get in here ONE MORE TIME, about the 4 bangers and the power they make. 300hp? wonder what the the power to dollar ratio on that is? After you spend thousands of dollar on a 300 hp 4 cylinder you have a moter that PEAKS at 300 hp. It has a very narrow power band at the upper most limits of its range (like about 6000rpms) And will prolly spill it's guts after a few years of good thrashings. Any small block or big block might have 250 hp, but it makes that power over a very long range (from about 1800 up to 5500 rpms) This gives you much more driavablity, and usefull power.
Any motorsport that needs big power is using a BB to do it. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES!
MuddyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 10:14 AM   #34
rivertrout10

Horatio - bottom line is this:

-You are more than welcome (and not because I say so - but because this is a public forum) to post any info/question you desire here.

-You and your peers own and drive suburus and dodges - nothing wrong with that - but that is just the way it is - by your choice.

-While entertaining at first this, like anything else, has grown tiring and I desire to end these rants so I will.

Nothing personal - maybe you can help me out in the future as I am certain that I will run into problems as most of us do.

Extended hand to you.......

Have a good one,
Derek
Unread 01-02-2002, 11:58 AM   #35
JIM79CJ7

Always interesting , this jeep forum !
I do get a kick out of it sometimes , rants ,fits , so good to challenge the mind once in a while . Thanks guys you made my first cup of coffee great today! Honestly though if this was a playground , I would have grabbed you both by the neck and rubbed your heads together ! Always FUN ! Well gotta go post JEEP facts on my suburu forum . lmfao !!!!

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:44 PM   #36
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally posted by MuddyCJ5:
OK! I gotta get in here ONE MORE TIME, about the 4 bangers and the power they make. 300hp? wonder what the the power to dollar ratio on that is? After you spend thousands of dollar on a 300 hp 4 cylinder you have a moter that PEAKS at 300 hp. It has a very narrow power band at the upper most limits of its range (like about 6000rpms) And will prolly spill it's guts after a few years of good thrashings. Any small block or big block might have 250 hp, but it makes that power over a very long range (from about 1800 up to 5500 rpms) This gives you much more driavablity, and usefull power.
Any motorsport that needs big power is using a BB to do it. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES!

That's the beauty of a turbo-charged engine. If they're built right they'll be just as reliable in the long run. The production STi WRX cranks out about 280 horsepower, with gobs of it available from about 2500 all the way up towards 8000 rpm. They're also reliable as a daily driver for 100k miles or more, if the owner doesn't thrash on it all day long. I know of plenty of people who didn't get 100k miles out of their bone-stock non-thrashed upon V8. 80k miles and a rebuild or replace.

You seem certain that any sport that requires high horsepower uses big block motors. I disagree. FIA world rally uses 2.0l 4-bangers for the most part. Those cars are pumping out 300-350 hp. What about formula 1? Aren't those guys running something like 3 liter 12-cylinders with like 700 horses?

But I'll agree, tractor pulling, mud bog racing, monster truck racing (read: American redneck sports)(and don't go getting all offended, that's exactly what it is and I watch it too, with the exception of boring circle-track stuff) all use big blocks.
Aren't Nascar engines 358 small blocks? Dodge starts with a 340cid design and tweaks it... They all make around 500-750hp (depending on the series, Busch = 500, Craftsman truck=710, Winston Cup=750).
And those motors don't get used for more than 500 miles before being rebuilt.
Plus those Nascar engines use a radical cam profile that optimizes power at high-rpms, which is exaclty what you were saying the 4-bangers do. Those nascar engines wouldn't be very streetable at all.
And FYI, the WRC cars are all street legal and in fact do drive on public streets between stages, with no problems. Here in the States we have the SCCA Prorally, with cars putting out around 300 horses from the same 2-liter 4-bangers. Some of the ProRally drivers use their fully caged race cars as daily drivers, going to and from work in them.

There goes the whole streetable arguement.
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:49 PM   #37
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
-You and your peers own and drive suburus and dodges - nothing wrong with that - but that is just the way it is - by your choice.

Quote:
peer \Peer\, n. [OE. per, OF. per, F. pair, fr. L. par equal. Cf. Apparel, Pair, Par, n., Umpire.] 1. One of the same rank, quality, endowments, character, etc.; an equal; a match; a mate.

2. A comrade; a companion; a fellow; an associate.
www.dictionary.com
It doesn't say that in order to be a peer you have to drive and own the same vehicles. A peer is somebody with similar interests.

Whether you like it or not, you are my peers.
Unread 01-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #38
rivertrout10

Whether you like it or not, you are my peers.[/B][/QUOTE]

Literally speaking you MAY be correct. The only relative point however is the context of the conversation you and I were engaged in - the type of vehicle you drive. In that regard you are not my peer - why is that so hard for you to understand? I am not saying that is a bad thing dude - just that it is what it is.

Post here - chat here - make your point here - but understand Horatio that we "jeep owners" are peers on this forum due to the common link between us - JEEPS - you are missing that link.

Anyways - again I offer to bury the hatchet - if it is too hard for you to do I guess I can continue to humor you and give you things to reply to - but shouldnt you be studying?

In the words of Rodney King:

"CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

Derek
Unread 01-02-2002, 08:57 PM   #39
I-4

you COULD get 300 hp out of a four banger;but why?bottom line it's still a 4 cylinder.i want to put a 454 in a scubaru!
Unread 01-03-2002, 01:58 AM   #40
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally posted by I-4:
you COULD get 300 hp out of a four banger;but why?bottom line it's still a 4 cylinder.i want to put a 454 in a scubaru!
It would actually be easier and cheaper to use the 4-banger. Plus with the 454 the weight distribution and center of gravity get all screwed up. Going from a fairly light aluminum block/head flat 4 to a heavy iron block/head V8 would be extremely detrimental to the handling characteristics of the car. It would plow into everything remotely resembling a corner. The turbo adds maybe 50 pounds worth of plumbing and electronics.

Derek - I understand that we don't both drive Jeeps. I used to drive one, and I'm still a Jeep enthusiast.
That I'll agree on.

But I pose this for you -
If two different types of vehicles have identical engines, transfer cases, transmissions, and axles, but different frames and sheet metal are they more different than two vehicles with identical sheet metal but different engines, transmissions, transfer cases, and axles?

Let's say a Grand Wagoneer and Ramcharger both have identical running gear. Then one CJ has a 454, NV4500, (insert x-case of non-jeep origin here), and Chevy corporate axles, sitting next to a bone stock CJ with correct internals.

Which two have more in common? Which two would be more alike when trying to figure out a problem with driving it?

That's all I'm trying to get at.
Unread 01-03-2002, 09:37 AM   #41
401cj5

Ok - I have to chime in now. Horatio - Me thinkest you arest splitting hairest - enoughest saidest.

You are clearly the biggest Jeep Enthusiast in your anthill.

Jason
4" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10

78 Wag Ltd - 360
400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit
D44's frt and rear
2.5" AAL's for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum

79 J20 - 360
T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20
D44HD frt D60 rear
3" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8
8400# weight truck

80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection
727 Trans+ 208
D44 frt Model 20 rear
4" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10[/COLOR]
401cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2002, 10:28 AM   #42
cj7kevin
1978 CJ7 

Agent Orange,
I was wondering about the fuel mileage you are getting out of the 350 and if there were any major problems with this setup.

tnx
look out for #1 and try not to step in #2. -Rodney Dangerfield
cj7kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #43
swack

THE END!
swack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2002, 08:27 PM   #44
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

Quote:
The END
I sure do hope so!!
Every body play nice now!
adios,
RJ
Unread 01-10-2002, 02:13 AM   #45
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally posted by swack:
THE END!
Just to spite you all, I'm going to hunt down a YJ and do an EJ20T swap into it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.