Help! 454 in a 78 cj 7? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help! 454 in a 78 cj 7?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-28-2001, 02:54 PM   #16
swack

I will not misspell better I will not misspell better I will not misspell better
I will not misspell better I will not misspell better I will not misspell better I will not misspell better I will not misspell better I will not misspell better

PLEASE DONT SMACK MY PP!

and REMEMBER opinions are like a**holes
we all have one!!!!!!!!!

swack 88yj

swack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:44 PM   #17
Pantera

Sell the Mouse motor and use that money to drop in the Rat!!! There is no such thing as overkill... Chevy makes the greatest V8s in the world and have been making them for a million years... That has led to some really good things:
1. Bellhousing patterns should be identical
2. Motor mount locations can be fixed with cheap and readily available parts

So... Drop that sucker in!!!

P.S.--> Comparing 350s to 454s is like comparing a Sammy to a Jeep... In stock form one is just as capable as the other... A modified Sammy might even do better than a stock Jeep... But, in terms of maximum potential, the Jeep stands alone... Need I say more???
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 01:09 AM   #18
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I guess I just don't understand the need for maximum potential, because there's no way I'd ever drop a big-block in my daily driver. The truck? Yeah, maybe. But for $3500 I could pick up a 360 with 380hp/410 ft-lbs from Mopar. It makes hunting down a 440 that much less attractive.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 05:39 PM   #19
dartboy

Poor agent orange, didn't get any real feedback on his question at all. I think somebody already said it but if you have a 350 in your Jeep already, you shouldn't need too much else to put in the 454. It should pretty much bolt right in. It will be a fun Jeep when it's all done. Big Blocks rule!
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 05:55 PM   #20
rivertrout10

Originally posted by dartboy:
Poor agent orange, didn't get any real feedback on his question at all.

He got some good suburu info (suburu misspelled on purpose). I WILL MISSPELL SUBURU I WILL MISSPELL SUBURU I WILL MISSPELL SUBURU.

Derek
Unread 12-29-2001, 11:10 PM   #21
horatio102
Web Wheeler

putz
Unread 12-30-2001, 06:56 AM   #22
dartboy

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a Subaru. I would have one but just my personal taste. Everybody has to drive something to get the groceries.

My uncle had a subaru once, one of those early 90's 4x4 wagons, was tuogh as nails for the first 6 months he owned it but then it died. I forget what kind it was but it was fun in a small fresh snowfall. anyway enough rambling on.
Unread 12-30-2001, 10:54 AM   #23
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Damned straight. My '92 Legacy wagon took on powder up to the headlights with no problem, on stock all-season tires at 34psi, no chains. People in their lifted Chevys, Fords, Jeeps & Toyotas were pulling over to let me go by. That was up on forest service roads. My RS is fast and fun. But I'm thinking about selling the Ram and getting a YJ so I don't have to deal with the emissions stuff.
Unread 12-30-2001, 02:21 PM   #24
rivertrout10

Quote:
Originally posted by horatio102:
putz
Horattia- you are missing the point:

1 - Who cares about what a suburu can do with whatever engine and factory tires with simple strap on mods? For those who do - I am sure there are suburu clubs or whatever for them - keep in mind that this is a Jeep Forum - hence the fact that we talk about Jeeps - not suburus and dodge trucks.

2 - If you cant take the ribbing - dont revert back to a 2nd grade mentality - "putz" - good one - bet nobody can top that one!!!! Next thing we should expect to see from you is a "no take backs" type of comment right? Grow up dude.

3 - Who cares about dodge emissions? Go ask that question on a dodge truck forum - revert back to point #1 - this is a Jeep Forum.

POINT 4 - and most important - GET A JEEP!!!

Have a Happy New Year!!!

Derek
Unread 12-31-2001, 05:22 AM   #25
dartboy

So does that mean since Horatio doesn't have a Jeep he can't post here? Now who has the second grade mentality. He may not have a jeep but he sounds like a Jeep enthusiast, so I think that allows him to post here.
Unread 12-31-2001, 06:32 AM   #26
rivertrout10

Quote:
Originally posted by dartboy:
So does that mean since Horatio doesn't have a Jeep he can't post here? Now who has the second grade mentality. He may not have a jeep but he sounds like a Jeep enthusiast, so I think that allows him to post here.
Did I say anywhere in my post that he cannot make comments/posts here? No I did not - I do not have the power or the desire to restrict people on this website. I simply stated MY OPINION (as anyone may do on this site) that I do not care about suburu/dodge problems - that he should not revert to name calling - and that he should get a Jeep. Now - if you, Dertboy, enjoy posts on suburus/dodges that is great - however my point still remains that this is a Jeep forum.

I suppose this should be my last post on this subject as it will probably only fuel the fire and cause you to waste 10 or 15 minutes of your time trying to come up with some snappy response that makes you look cool and I dont really want to do that - but then again it does provide for some low quality entertainment.

Have a Happpy and Blessed New Year,
Derek
Unread 12-31-2001, 11:12 AM   #27
horatio102
Web Wheeler

You're too cool for words.
Quote:
he should not revert to name calling
Quote:
if you, Dertboy,
1) I used to own a Jeep. I bought a '99 WJ and drove it around for two years. It was nice, but not nearly reliable enough for a daily driver, and I quit my job to go back to school so I didn't want to worry about making the payments on it. So I sold it and bought my Subaru.

2) My point by bringing up the motors in Subarus is that bigger isn't always better. There are smaller, more powerful engines available. So what? So the 350 has plenty of potential. The 454 has more, but do you really need that kind of potential? Do you really need 400+ ft-lbs of torque for crawling? Not really. Often times too much power is a cause for problems. If you drop in a motor with a lot of power you then have to consider the rest of your drivetrain. (I realize he's got plenty-strong enough axles, but that's not always the case) Will the axles, u-joints, transmission, and transfer case hold up to the power? With big power you break things more often. A buddy of mine snapped a u-joint because he forgot to release his e-brake while going up a steep hill. That's something he probably wouldn't have done with his stock 400, but when he did it he had a bored/built 460.

3) In case you are uninformed, the running gear in a 3/4 ton Ram is pretty much the same as a Grand Wagoneer/J-series. So if you need me to lie about what it is, I can say "I need to pass emissions in me J20, please help". I shouldn't have any trouble getting help.

4) Why don't I go to the Ram board? Because the Ram boards are all pretty much overrun by people with '94+ (pretty-boy) trucks who are generally more concerned with how much chrome, how high a lift, and how big a tire they can put on their rigs that will never see dirt. I'd rather get advice from my peers who tend to think more like I do.

5) Why don't I sell the Ram and get a Jeep? I'd love to, but I really would like to keep a truck around. If I get a Jeep, it will be a Wrangler of some sort. My only viable reason for having a second vehicle is that I ocassionally need to cart bulky stuff around, or stuff I don't want to put in the Subaru, like garbage going to the dump, or sheets of lumber. Tell me how I can put a 4x8' sheet of plywood in a Wrangler and I'll get rid of the pickup. There's a '94 YJ w/300k miles on it for sale for $5500, dual tops, a/c, etc. It was towed behind a motorhome resulting in the rediculously high mileage.

So, trousertrout, if I'm being immature for giving my honest opinion, so be it. Maybe you need to look in the mirror and look up the definition of hypocrite.
Unread 12-31-2001, 11:26 AM   #28
rivertrout10

Hilarious - please be honest and tell me:

-How long did you spend on that reply?
-How many times did you re-read it?

This is great - I love how a persons goat can be gotten over such petty discussions - I bet your blood pressure was through the roof on that reply!!!!

-Are there any replies to your Dodge question? No - point being that this a Jeep forum.
-Do I really care about how you tote your plywood? No I do not - does anybody really care how you tote plywood?
-Do I care about some Jeep you saw with 300k miles blah blah blah - No I do not.

Dude - Your peers drive Dodge trucks and suburus because that is what you drive.

Please respond soon as I have allowed all of my Marines to have the day off so the office is empty - I cant wait to see how worked up you get!!!

Lastly - good one with the "trousertrout" comment - how long did it take to come up with that one? Again - you give Mrs Smiths second grade class bully a run for his money on the name calling!!!!

Derek
Unread 12-31-2001, 05:27 PM   #29
swack

IM happy most people got my point!
you guys are to much fun

swack 88YJ
swack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2001, 06:36 PM   #30
I-4

this is pretty good.ya know you can get 300 hp out of a 4 banger?so what!you can get horsepowwer out of most anything!the 454 kicks *** and if someone wants a 454,this is america.who ever started this off and wants a 454,please do a write up on it,i think it would be cool as hell!rotflmao!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.