Help - 4.0 rebuild no power! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help - 4.0 rebuild no power!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
MattBe

Help - 4.0 rebuild no power!

My buddy just had his engine bored at a machine shop figuring the old tired 4.0 would come back to life and then some. After the rebuild he was supposed to take it easy, which he did. After the "break in" period......absolutely no power gain whatsoever. He also had a new cam from comp cams installed. I'm now thinking its the transmission? Can anybody give me/us some insight? Thanks!!!!!

MattBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
bobjp

How big of an overbore? Was it even enough to need oversized pistons? How much different is the cam?

I am thinking he was expecting too much. Small overbores won't make a difference, and likely the cam was designed for specific rpms. What were his goals with the build?
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
MattBe

Hey thanks for the reply. I think it was a .40 overbore, cant remember. Basically the jeep had absolutely no power before and he figured it was pissed out (the cone air filter he had was not filtering worth **** either). The machine shop told him to expect 300 horsepower after all said and done which surprised the **** out of me, but I didnt really know. After the rebuild it is the same as before, and it was expected to atleast be better than before ya know?
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Chile99

300 HP from a overbore. ..... Whatever that guy is smoking is illegal. The 4.0 is a strong motor but not a powerhouse I have a stroker in my YJ and do not build that kind of horsepower. Tell us about the jeep. Transmission type, tire size, gear ratio. Year of manufacture. Cam number. Perhaps we can make some intelligent sugestions. Unlike the 300 hp overbore.
John
Chile99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
MattBe

Bored 30 over
15 throw off the head
Says coated pistons
The cam part number is 68-232-4 from comp cams.

Cam installed::::: @110.0 intake center line, duration-intake 206, exhaust- 212... lobe lift intake-.2890 exhaust- .2990.... lobe seperation- 113.0

The 300 was a mistake, he said he probably heard 30 and added a 0...haha.
Anyway....the thing hardly has any power, and tonight I found out it has very slow throttle response. A quick foot to the floor in neutral brings the rpms up to a couple grand. Maybe that tells us a little more? Help is much appreciated, thanks!!
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

all they did was a stock rebuild with a cam, your not gonna feel a hell of alot of difference from before, that cams not crazy enough to do much, youll just a get a little more torque and maybe a very slight lope to the idle. boring a motor out doesnt give you any noticible power. i dont know who keeps tell people this. decking the head would bring the compression up a bit but 15 its not enoguh to bring the motors already low compression up to anything good. maybe the shop didnt degree the cam up strait up?
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

I had "98 4.0, that had no power, found out the throtle positioning sensor was stuck a 38 percent, had it replaced and it ran strong.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
MattBe

Thanks for the replies, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! He says his throttle position sensor is in working order. I think its the transmission......
If it ever gets fixed i'll let you all know what it is!
Unread 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it started out making good power and it sluffed off to what it is now, then a couple things could have happened...
1-timing jumped on the camshaft
2-the lobes on the camshaft wore out/improper assembly from rebuilder

Pull your valve cover and check to see that all valves are opening and closing the way they should be (you should see nearly .5" of lift on the push rod). If you do, then check your valve timing.

Also, poor ignition timing will give slow throttle response as well.... Double check your timing...
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
MoparXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Also check the crank sensor, you can test it and it will pass but the gap might be off
MoparXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparXJ View Post
Also check the crank sensor, you can test it and it will pass but the gap might be off
This was almost 5 years ago

Way to use the search button I guess
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's your baseline for comparison? What was the compression in the cylinders before the rebuild? After?

Was it put on a dyno before or after the rebuild? The butt makes a lousy dyno, it won't calibrate at all. The expectations were far greater than what was achieved and that makes the butt dyno feel even worse.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.