Help, 258 backfiring out of exhaust ?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Help, 258 backfiring out of exhaust ?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Help, 258 backfiring out of exhaust ?!

Hello. My 258 just started backfiring out of the exhaust a couple days ago. I havent driven it since then. When I crank it, it even backfires when idleing. I've tried adjusting the idle and mixture screws on the carb, but that doesn't work. I just don't have a clue. I'm learning as I go here and I haven't come across this yet.

Thanks,

Elliott

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo
Hello. My 258 just started backfiring out of the exhaust a couple days ago. I havent driven it since then. When I crank it, it even backfires when idleing. I've tried adjusting the idle and mixture screws on the carb, but that doesn't work. I just don't have a clue. I'm learning as I go here and I haven't come across this yet.

Thanks,

Elliott
Possibly a piece of carbon between exhaust valve seat and face. This would keep valve from being able to shut completely. You can get a fuel additive that will clean fuel system and valves. Don't know if it will work but it won't hurt anything.

To eliminate the carb as the problem, slowly close choke (by hand)while idleing and see if it stops or gets worse. If you are getting a backfire due to a lean condition of the carb, this should temporarily richen it up and cause it to stop.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Columbia04

Have you tried messing with the distributer yet? The timing is pretty easy to check.
Unread 04-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I got some of that valvoline fuel system cleaner stuff today. I plan on dumping that into the tank tonight. Then check the spark plugs. I will probably have to check the timing too. Just keep em coming guys...You list it, I'll check it until the problem is solved. I just hope it's something external and simple.

Thanks
E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

An observation that may help someone diagnose this is that it only starts the farting, burping and backfiring when it is warmed up.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I checked the timing today and it was below zero!!! I bumped it up to 5 and I am going to bump it up a little more tomorrow.

Also, when I put my hand over the carb the idle speeds way up and it runs really smoothe. When I remove my hand it slows way down and idles roughly. What are your thoughts on this???

Thanks

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Good News!

Good news! I finally got it fixed. I advanced the timing to 7 and reset the carb by reducing the idle (to tractor speed) and adjusting the mixture screws to sound, then readjusted the idle. Runs SMOOOOOTHE. I can actually idle at 600 now without it studdering when I hit the gas. I noticed that the distributor cap and rotor have some wear, so I will get new ones tomorrow. Ah, I also ran some valvoline fuel treatment and a full tank of 93 octane. Don't know whether it was one of the things or a combination of all of them that fixed it. It's time for a washy washy now. Its been sitting so long its got about 3 inches of pollen on it.

E

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo
Good news! I finally got it fixed. I advanced the timing to 7 and reset the carb by reducing the idle (to tractor speed) and adjusting the mixture screws to sound, then readjusted the idle. Runs SMOOOOOTHE. I can actually idle at 600 now without it studdering when I hit the gas. I noticed that the distributor cap and rotor have some wear, so I will get new ones tomorrow. Ah, I also ran some valvoline fuel treatment and a full tank of 93 octane. Don't know whether it was one of the things or a combination of all of them that fixed it. It's time for a washy washy now. Its been sitting so long its got about 3 inches of pollen on it.

E
Good show! You were trying to fix a timing problem by adjusting the carb. The best part is that you discovered it yourself. You won't forget that one!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.