JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   help (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/help-1565968/)

lumpyd 08-23-2013 12:43 AM

help

I have an 81 CJ7 with the 258. Every time I am finished driving it and park it somewhere, there is a little puddle of oil. It's been tough to figure out exactly where it is coming from because the it it always sprayed all over the place from the fan and driving it. But, I almost looks like it is coming from the breather on top of the valve cover. The material inside of it is saturated and there is a little oil coming from around the base of the breather as well. And yes, it is a new breather with a new grommet.

Any ideas why it would be getting forced out through there?

andyabbot 08-23-2013 01:07 AM

You cannot figure out by yourself. To identify the oil issue you have to bring the jeep near your garage because They have experience and will fix it otherwise it will waste your time and finally you will go to mechanic only.Get details about repair and maintenance | car repairs brisbane

Holder350 08-23-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyabbot (Post 15826676)
You cannot figure out by yourself.

Woah, slow down there tiger. Not much confidence in him eh?

To the OP, check locally at your auto parts stores and see if they can get you a UV leak detection kit. It consists of a small bottle of UV die that you pour in the engine and then you crawl under the jeep in a dark garage or at dusk and shine a flashlight that is provided in the kit.

Any and all leaks will become extremely apparent.

Sent from my phone

lumpyd 08-23-2013 07:31 AM

LOL. Yeah, I was thinking that was jumping the gun a little bit. If it is in fact coming from the breather, what could that be from? My OP gauge shows about 40 lbs, but in all fairness, they are jeep gauges and work as such.

Holder350 08-23-2013 07:55 AM

I doubt its leaking a puddle from the valve cover breather.

More than likely valve cover gasket.....but a good cleaning should show where the oil is coming from

DaemonForce 08-23-2013 08:22 PM

Do you have a plastic valve cover?

cruiser54 08-24-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holder350 (Post 15827177)
I doubt its leaking a puddle from the valve cover breather.

More than likely valve cover gasket.....but a good cleaning should show where the oil is coming from

They went through a bunch of different valve covers to try stopping the leaks. Until 1987 when the aluminum one came out, they all pretty much sucked, especially the blue ones.

lumpyd 08-26-2013 07:04 AM

yeah, it's a black plastic cover

DaemonForce 08-26-2013 10:26 AM

I hate the thought of messing with these but removing the valve cover to replace the gasket is what I would do. Only problem is this only has a 50% chance of fixing this oil leak. It's obvious you haven't done a head swap and this engine probably has over 150K on it, so the rings might be worn out. It's really anyone's guess.

25greenwrangler 08-26-2013 02:52 PM

Wash the motor and engine bay off top to bottom. Try and avoid the alternator and distributor. Drive for about 10 miles. Grab a good flashlight and start looking.

The time now is 10:39 PM.