HEI Ignition and Rochester carb mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HEI Ignition and Rochester carb mods

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-04-2002, 02:10 PM   #1
dpoliver

HEI Ignition and Rochester carb mods

I'm looking to perform these mods to my 4.2 86 CJ7

The donor parts should be no prob...and the HEI

ignition upgrade seems fairly straight forward...

but that damn Carter BBD has me confused...not

sure how to swap in the Rochester ...and should I

go with the 2GC or 2GV...what is what and where

do you connect it...

any articles or help would be greatly appreciated

dpo

dpoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #2
Larry Daniels

I have an '86 CJ7 with the 258 (4.2) and installed an HEI from an '80 Chevy P/U 6 cyl combined with a Rochester 2GC. It was the best move I ever made . I prefered a manual choke so I chose the 2GC. The local parts store didn't have a clue what that was so I told them to order a rebuilt carb for a '65 Chevy Impala with a 283 V8 and a a 2BBL, they looked it up and said "Uh.... that would be a Rochester 2GC" I said exactly, now will you just order it? I got a "Holley factory rebuild" that was perfect and a simple bolt on, save for minor throttle linkage mods, the best part was the price $79.95 exchanged. The brain surgeons at this paticular store didn't know a rochester from a carter so they gladly accepted my BBD as a core. As far as the ignition upgrade the TeamRush TFI upgrade is thought by some to be a better and simpler upgrade and unless you have an HEI from a 6 cyl GM the Teamrush is supposed to be cheaper. I'm extremely happy with the HEI and its self contained 1 wire simplistic design... Good luck!
Larry Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
dpoliver

Great to here that...
I've beenn researching this stuff for a while now...
I'm in the process of tuning the jeep up big time..just bought it a few weeks ago...
it runs great even though it's filthy...
how long did it take you to do?
how advanced or below is the timing?
and at long last...the last questions...
was tunning the carb ok?
hoping it works out great here...

dpo
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:13 PM   #4
Larry Daniels

As far as the carb It bolted right up, no adapters no..nothing. I used a Mr. Gasket universal throttle linkage bracket and fabricated a little of my own. You'll figure it out, just make the cable pull the throttle open. I used a universal manual choke cable, again pretty simple. Your stock air cleaner will work, However I used a K&N. No adjustments were nesessary, it worked perfect straight out of the box with the factory settings (as it should) these carbs are rebuilt by Holley and all of the parts for them are, or should be available at NAPA or any other reputable parts house. Now for the HEI, they make an advance curve kit for them and it's recommended by Larry Maggio, he's the man who wrote the article that convinced me to go with the HEI in the first place (If you havn't read it heres's the link) <a href="http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm</a> but I liked it so well stock I just left it alone. You may consider the TR upgrade I know several people using it and they really like it. However if you have an HEI out of an old GM 6 banger use it, I love mine......Good luck
Larry Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
GRUB

Did the same thing to my 225 V6, except I used a Motorcraft 2150, (Ford fan in me), ran into the same problems from the 16 year old counterboy at autozone. I've started a list of what model cars I need parts for to fit my jeep now. HEI is great! Many thanks to Jeepdaddy2000 who helped out with parts id'ing.
"The Grub"
GRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:06 PM   #6
dpoliver

finnally got everything together for the HEI ignition...all the parts and did the mod...
HOLY "explitive deleted"..
what a difference...
best money ever spent..

dpo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.