HEI Distributors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > HEI Distributors

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
2-shy

HEI Distributors

Hi all, receive email today from JeepForum saying havenít heard from you in a while. This is true been busy with honey dues but manage to get a little shop time in building a GM 3.7L V-6 (odd fire) engine (Jeep 1966-71). So I thought I post on what I have done since last posted. Wanted to run a HEI distributors but could not fine one available for my 3.7L motor. Through research it look like a later Buick GM 3.8L motor (1974-75 odd fire) should work as Buick bought back the tooling rights, increase the cubic and ran this engine until 1975 later they engineer and alter the crank shaft to a even fire engine. All sound crazy as this motor started out as a V-8 in the early 1960 where Buick chop off 2 cylinders creating there V-6 an resulting in a odd firing engine. Summit Racing carries this HEI for the 1975 Buick 3.8L/231 odd fire # PRO-67091 $235.97. The only hitch you have to shave off a little metal on the front corner on intake manifold for the bigger distributors. See photo with Offenhauser #6035DP 4-barrel (square bore) intake manifold, Summit Racing also carries four different cams kits for the 3.7L V-6. I never cut in valve seats before but install chrome-moly seats so I can run unleaded gas all looks good.

3.7l-hei-1.jpg

3.7l-hei-2.jpg

2-shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

NAPA on line $129
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...693_0407407757

You will indeed have to shave the intake down. The aluminum intakes are thicker around the mount bolts. Buick also offered a special button headed bolt to help with clearance. You can grind down the intake and take about half of the bolt head off and the distributor will fit. Due to the oddfire, you MUST install the #1 wire in the terminal so marked and go from there.
I prefer an RV grind for offroading.
I would also spring for a HV oil pump kit from Melling.
The Square bore should accept a 390 Holley.
The motor makes amazing low end torque due to it's heavy flywheel. An excellent powerplant for a Cj.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
2-shy

Thanks JeepDaddy for info I'll check out the Holly was looking at a 500 Edelbrock. Carburetor are not my forte I was wondering if the 500 Edelbrock was to big those holly's do cost a lot more ha.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I would opt for the smaller carb. The only large carb I have had any luck with is the Quadrajet (which is a fantastic option) but it is a spread bore and won't fit your intake.
Another small carb is the Holley 450 economaster. It is also a spread bore and has become obsolete, but can still be found.
Both of these can be adapted to the square bore intake.
Holley makes two square bore carbs in the range that would work best. Both the 390 and the 470 would be good options.
I have run both the AFB (Edelbrock) and 600 Holley's. While they worked, I never felt the performance was optimum.
Just my .02......
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
2-shy

Looking at new and used holley 390 cfm all with electric choke, scratching my head now on what it will take to plumb in the choke. 12 volts for the wire? do I have to plumb in heat from intake manifold? Also in my search for a carb I keep seeing gaskets with one big hole cut in them. Seems to me my gasket should keep duel ports separated as I said before Carburetors are not my forte, HELP! lol.
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Electric is easy. You can plumb into an existing switched power source, run a lead to the ignition switch, or install a relay.

I am surprised nobody carries one of these

They are common and should be found at just about any FLAPS. NAPA or Baxter's should have one. Heck I bet Blackbird has one on the shelf.
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
2-shy

I google electric choke they talk about a vacuum hook up for cooling of coil in choke did I read that right? Thinking tapping into HEI 12 volts there no resistor inline dropping voltages also read wouldn't make a different still should work. Vacuum cooling has my head spinning also looks like that electric choke is always heating using electric power. what would it take to convert to manual choke?
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
2-shy

Looking at photos of holley 390 I see no hook up for any vacuum line. Still I see why they would want to remove heat from choke housing maybe they do that internally using vacuum?
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
2-shy

Found a new 390 Holley with manual choke on ebay less money than electric choke setup, what to do manual or electric will chew on this for a while.
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
I google electric choke they talk about a vacuum hook up for cooling of coil in choke did I read that right? Thinking tapping into HEI 12 volts there no resistor inline dropping voltages also read wouldn't make a different still should work. Vacuum cooling has my head spinning also looks like that electric choke is always heating using electric power. what would it take to convert to manual choke?
The vacuum port was used in conjunction with the electric choke. It was hooked up to a heat sink in the exhaust stream and was designed to augment the electric choke. Here is a picture of one designed to install in the intake.

standard Ford set up with the combination of electric and hot air.

As for the HEI, you can either bypass the ballast resistor (it is on the firewall) and wire it directly the original dist wire, or you can install a relay and run a heavier wire from the battery straight to the dist. (which can be used to run your choke as well). The HEI likes more power, however, I have seen many hooked up using the original wiring and they ran just fine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.