header bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > header bolts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-11-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
CJ Lover

header bolts?

The bolts in my headers come loose all the time. It seems like Im always tightinen em. Any suggestions????

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:32 AM   #2
HabaneroEater

This may seem like a PITA, but it is well worth the headache. First off let me say that I have tried all the trick header bolts known to man and they all work for awhile and then it's back to the same old problems. For this old drag racers trick you can use any type header bolt, but I used the type with the allen wrench type head on them. You will need the following....

Header bolts and a couple nuts
Safety wire
Drill and drill bit
Vise

Take your header bolt and screw a couple nuts on the threads. Place it in a vise with the head above the vise jaw. Drill a small hole all the way through the head of the bolt. Repeat for every header bolt. Clean up any burrs on the header bolt. Install the header bolts and torque them down to spec. Run the engine and get things nice and hot. Let it cool and retorque the header bolts. Thread the safety wire through the holes in the header bolts. Three times is about maximum depending on how big the head of the bolt is. Connect them all or two at a time. How you do this is purely up to you, there is no right or wrong way. When the header bolts try to back out they will not be able to as the safety wire and the other header bolts that it's ran through will prevent it. If you run the safety wire over the top of a header tube it will burn the wire or it may become corroded enough that it gives out and breaks. This takes a long time. Just remove it and re-thread the safety wire after checking the torque on the header bolts. I did this on my '78 Z28 3 years ago and it is still holding. I do not drive it every day however.
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
CJ Lover

Sounds like a good idea. I woulda never thought of that. Thanks a lot
Unread 03-12-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
Bulletproofcj7

Habie has a great suggestion, ive been planning on doing that mod myself, for now ive used copper gaskets and extra thick lock washers,chase(clean) the threads in the head and lock tite the bolts also.
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.