head swap or stroker... what's the big difference!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > head swap or stroker... what's the big difference!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 04-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
7ate9
1977 CJ5 

head swap or stroker... what's the big difference!?

Okay, maybe I'm being a numbskull and totally overlooking something. But, is there really that much of a difference between putting the 4.0 head on a 258 and putting the 258 crank and rods into a 4.0? I realize the 4.0 has a slightly larger bore so you'd end up with a few more cubes going the stroker route. Other than that though, both setups will give you the longer stroke of the 258 combined with the better flow of the 4.0 top end. So, if someone could fill me in on what I'm missing my curiosity would really appreciate it..

7ate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

that increased bore makes a big difference, as do the larger valves on the 4.0 head.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
7ate9
1977 CJ5 

Does it really though? unless I'm mistaken, the stroker only ends up with less than 20 more cubic inches than than a 258. Now, I'm a firm believer that there is no replacement for displacement and I understand that 20 cubic inches would make a difference, I just don't see it being so significant or noticeable that it would make it worth doing a complete engine swap over just a head swap in an older jeep with a 258 already in place. Especially for someone who would keep it carbureted and need to worry about a fuel pump. I was wondering if there was some other benefit to the 4.0 block being used or if it's just the larger bore?
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure there's a reason that a 4.7 stroker (30 Cu.In more than your 258, btw) makes on average 75hp/100 lbft more than any stock i6 found in a Jeep. Perhaps it's the added fuel from the injectors (required) and added air from the higher flow head.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
7ate9
1977 CJ5 

okay, but the stroker is only a 4.5 liter until you bore it 60 thousandths over to make it a 4.7.. You can also bore a 258 to get a little more displacement. So I'll stand by my assumption of roughly only a 20 cubic inch difference. I also never said anything about a stock engine, I was comparing a typical stroker build to a 4.0 head being put on the 258. So either of the engine builds I mentioned would end up with the same head, which would mean the same amount of flow on both engines.. I also don't see fuel injection delivering more fuel than a carb (Not that it's even relevant to my question) Nor do I get what you mean by injectors being required, seems how I have a newer horseshoe style 4.0 intake with a motorcraft 2150 on it and the injector ports blocked off..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.