Head Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Head Rebuild

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Head Rebuild

Hey fellow Jeepers,

I can't figure out whats going on with my jeep. I have replaced injectors, MAP, IAC, TPS checked the crank position sensor, firing order O2 sensors fuel pressure. I still have the rough idle and the bucking and jumpin gand lunging inder load from 1500-1800 rmp. Seriously considering rebuilding the head new valves lifters rods rockers springs everything. Anybody else done this do you have any idea about the cost of parts and time frame roughly. I will not be taking it to somebody else to fix I can't afford that so will be doing it over a weekend. The jeep is a 98 sport whith a 4.0L manual..I keep getting a cylider 1 and 5 miss fire i have spark and air and a new injector. Seems to be a more internal issue as nothing is helping it. Seems to be running real lean. I have spent $300 replacing sensors that didn't need replacing and am tired of getting no where anybody got any ideas?? Goin gto save up for a couple for a couple of weeks as this isn't going to be cheap....thanks for any help or info....

Unread 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
78jeeper258

I am unsure if what the IAC sensor is but I am guessing ignition control of some sort?

You neglected to mention the amount of miles but here's a few ideas I had.

I know you said you checked the wires so i assume you made sure its got a spark.

What about your cam sensor? If thats going out, the engine will run poorly.

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? if they look good and are gapped correctly, then forget about them. On a side note, if they are those fancy 4 pronged platinum/gold/moondust or whatever the heck they put in those things now, they can cause problems like rough idle or poor running conditions.

Check you timing belt, it may have slipped a tooth and be a bit out of time.

Maybe you have bad fuel? Today's gas is more like H2O so you may want to invest in a bottlew of octane booster if you are running 87 octane.

As for reworking the head, as I work in a machine shop, I can give you some info in that area.

I do not understand what you hope to achive be replacing rocker arms. Rare for them to go bad. The lifters can go 'flat' and not pump up with oil causing a poor run condition. I can understand replacing valves if they are bent but don't replace them if its not needed. Once the head is off AND the cam is pulled you can check the valves to see if they are sealing by standing the head on its side with either intake or exhaust facing up and them filling them with a solvent. If the solvent runs out like a river, the valve is bent or needs refaced. It it does not seep at all or seeps very slowly, it is usually deemed usable.

As for vendors for parts, you could go to the Dodge garage and buy your parts and spend a ton of cash, or find a vendor of engine parts that are as good as OEM, I reccomend SBI engine components, they are affordable and very good quality.

I don't want to see you dump a million dollars into your Jeep but I don't think your problem is in the head. It sounds to be more electrical
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.