Head gasket replacement DONE project complete, photos/video - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Head gasket replacement DONE project complete, photos/video

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
IROCZman15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Head gasket replacement DONE project complete, photos/video

Just wanted to write a brief post about my cylinder head replacement project. (1995 Jeep 2.5 Auto-transmission 152,000 miles )

for details on how it blew please view my other topic at:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-2463201/

Ok, so basically once I had a few free hours in September I was able to tear into this issue. My assumptions were correct in that the head gasket was spent and the head was warped. I pulled the head off, saw this nasty "ballooning" of parts of the head gasket too. the head and the block were NOT cracked. I took the head to a local machine shop where it was magnafluzed, cleaned and resurfaced. it was warped .012" horizontally. So compression mixture was just bouncing back and forth between cylinders on each up stroke and that's why it was not firing. Once reassembled it ran just great.

for a detailed, itemized run down of what I did check the first 7 pages of writing from my Jeep log-book at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123927...7648206433698/

also the process of the rebuild is there too along with videos of it running again.

Just wanted to share in hopes that this may/could help someone who uses the search feature to diagnose a similar problem

and just a few photos to add :

teardown:

it all looks wet because I was working in a slight rain that day

the head gasket damage:

nasty lifters

pushrods

the repair:

new header bolts

cleaned up and ready for reinstall

head checked, magnafluxed, resurfaced, painted, and valves in

new heater core

ready

rockers guides and studs

Last edited by IROCZman15; 12-08-2014 at 10:57 PM..
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
IROCZman15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

welp, sorry, It looks like since I do not have over 25 posts to the forum, my photos will not display. however they can all be seen at the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123927...57648206433698
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
DTMOOOO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job, how long did this take & what was the cost. Was thinking of puchasing a 4.0 off a part out to slowly build and keep as a backup
DTMOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
IROCZman15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

all in all it took about a total of 9-10 hours over several different days, but mostly because all of the parts and brackets I took off I degreased and cleaned up, spent a bunch of time replacing the heater core, which requires you to take out the battery, battery tray, and whole heating assembly enclosure underneath the dashboard. also took a while because my neighbors would always stop and chat while I was working, bringing progress to a halt. also, snapped off so many bolts which were just too overstressed and rusty from years of being in the jeep. I also took off extra parts which were not required to replace the head gasket, such as the water pump, lifters, cleaned the timing cover, had to extract a bolt which snapped that held the distributor cap to the distributor, etc

also I have pretty much repaired the steering issue, I drained the old fluid and added all new fluid and almost all of the bumpyness in the steering system is gone. I can notice a slight hard spot when turning the wheel, but its barely noticeable to others

the cost was $275 ish for the machine work on the cylinder head. about two-hundred bucks for the gasket set, lock tite, cooling passage sealant, degreaser and brake-kleen cans, various fittings, injector O-rings, oil, oil filter, power steering fluid, coolant, and also around $60 for the heater core.
Unread 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
IROCZman15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no need to reply, just finally got a chance to resubmit the photos to the original post. .. I used photobucket this time in stead of flickr and now the photos showed up.

and just a heads up.. I had installed an autozone cheap-o temp-switch and it riddled my brain with problems. it was reading 210 * when my hand held temp devices were nowhere near that (185 ish). just today I bought and installed a OEM temp-switch (in rear of cylinder head) and now my temp readings are correct. so if replacing a temp-switch buy an OEM part

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.