Head Gasket Replacement - Anything Else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Head Gasket Replacement - Anything Else?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Infedel

Head Gasket Replacement - Anything Else?

Lost a lot of power (especially at low RPM), and found water in my oil. I pulled the head and low and behold, it looks as if the head gasket was leaking in 2 spots. The biggest leak was between the 6th cylinder and the water holes in the block behind the 6th cylinder. Another, oil only, leak was between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders.
Problem #1:
What is the best way to install a new gasket? I've heard and read a few different methods.
1.) Use permatex to help seal the gasket
2.) Don't use permatex to help seal the gasket
3.) use a metal-impregnated paint on the gasket

Also, what is the best gasket to use (brand)?

Problem #2:
There is a LOT of rust in the cooling system. This is not good, since the engine is only 2 years old since it's rebuild (and a new radiator was installed then). Should i pull the engine and try and flush it all out of the block somehow? I'm going to pull the radiator and have it flushed, and also replace the heater core before re-assembling everything. I've been using Anti-Freeze and water since day 1 of the initial rebuild.

Thanks in advance for the help and direction.

1" Body Lift
1" Shackle Lift
33x12.5" SSR Tires
Painless Wiring, Stainless Steel Dash
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
JEEPINWI

For the head gasket, I don't believe there are any that require use of permatex. Felpro is probably the most accessible gasket, but it is actually slightly thicker(.053") than the OEM gasket(.052), thus lowering your compression ratio a hair. I would recommend the Mopar performance head gasket since it is slightly thinner(.043") than stock and will boost your C.R slightly.

If you have the time to remove the engine, maybe you'd want to strip it down to the bare block to have it professionally cleaned. I don't know what else to tell you about the cooling system. Has the engine sat for an extended period of time where there was a chance for rust to form?
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Infedel

Driven

The Jeep get's run a couple times a week. It usually doesn't sit more than a week without some activity.

The last head gasket used, was a thin metal one. Not really sure of the brand the machine shop used.

I have some spray-on copper gasket material that I'm planning on using if nothing else. Should provide an very thin, even coat to the gasket.

The head had been decked .030 during the last rebuild.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
1" Body Lift
1" Shackle Lift
33x12.5" SSR Tires
Painless Wiring, Stainless Steel Dash
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.