Head Gasket Leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Head Gasket Leaking

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
slomustang50
2004 WJ 

Head Gasket Leaking

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 03 with the HO motor 87k. I fear the head gasket is toast. It sat for a week at the airport and I noticed some white smoke from the exhaust. It goes away when the car heats up.

I am just got a misfire code in cylinder 5 and have been getting terrible mileage. I called the local Jeep shop who said if it was the head gasket he wouldn't work on it because it is too much effort to change the head gasket.

So it is at the dealer right now, but I am sure they are going to want way too much to do the work. Should I just get a new motor? Seems excessive for a blown head gasket.

image-4216221829.jpg

image-3024916056.jpg

slomustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have a cracked head if my guess is correct

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/c...dence-1306393/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I might have answered too quickly after seeing that foam. It is in your radiator not the oil filler cap is it? It still looks like oil mixed in with your water though. In any event check the oil filler cap also. Either way you have 'issues' with oil/water mixing.....that sucks.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

cracked head that "may" be covered under extended warranty.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another point of clarification on my part. First off I was 'victimized' by the infamous 4.0 engine cracked head outbreak of 2000-2001.

Supposedly Chrysler fixed any heads that cracked while under their regular warranty back then, but did not admit to any problem and didn't fix any that were out of warranty as far as I know.

So did they used junk heads again in 2004? I haven't read anything to indicate that they did. BUT you should check your head anyway since it is an extremely long head and is a good candidate to crack if torqued down improperly or had a thin casting between #3 & #4 cylinders.

Or, you blew a head gasket.

The stealership will rape you to replace the head gasket. Find a local Jeep mechanic and make sure you do not re-use the head bolts.

They may have been the problem since they are supposed to hold the head down tight enough to prevent the head gasket from blowing.

Did this engine ever overheat? That could have made this possible.

Once the head is off then the cylinders can be checked also. The other possibility is a cylinder wall cracked.

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
slomustang50
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman
Another point of clarification on my part. First off I was 'victimized' by the infamous 4.0 engine cracked head outbreak of 2000-2001. Supposedly Chrysler fixed any heads that cracked while under their regular warranty back then, but did not admit to any problem and didn't fix any that were out of warranty as far as I know. So did they used junk heads again in 2004? I haven't read anything to indicate that they did. BUT you should check your head anyway since it is an extremely long head and is a good candidate to crack if torqued down improperly or had a thin casting between #3 & #4 cylinders. Or, you blew a head gasket. The stealership will rape you to replace the head gasket. Find a local Jeep mechanic and make sure you do not re-use the head bolts. They may have been the problem since they are supposed to hold the head down tight enough to prevent the head gasket from blowing. Did this engine ever overheat? That could have made this possible. Once the head is off then the cylinders can be checked also. The other possibility is a cylinder wall cracked.
That sucks man. I had a 4.0 that was bulletproof. As an update the dealer told me I have too cracked heads and recommends I replace the engine at a cost of roughly 6000 dollars. They wanted 2600 dollars to install a remanufactured long block. Looks like I'm boned.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
slomustang50
2004 WJ 

I forgot to mention I had a 4.7 HO

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.