Head Bolts Replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Head Bolts Replace?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-22-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
jedwards

Head Bolts Replace?

Good morning. I just found out last night that the head on the 90 laredo I just bought is warped and the valve seals are bad. The machine shop is going to mill down that head to remove the warpage and redo the seals. I noticed in the chilton manual that is says to replace the head bolts after the second use, should I do this? Where is the best place to get the bolts (chrysler wants $121 for them).

Also the head was already disassembled when I got the jeep, so how do I know which bolt goes where (since there are 4 different types/lengths)?

It also says to use a sealant on each of the bolts and loctite 592 on bolt number 11, any suggestions on what type of sealant?

jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
gumby

do this

Replace the head bolts you don't have to get them from the dealer. you can buy
Grade 8 or harder bolts from a machine shop or Napa ETC... get a sample from your old ones. should not be that expensive
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
jedwards

Bolts

What about the ones that seem like studs (bolt with thread then a nut then more thread)? Does this type serve a purpose?
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
gumby

Threaded studs offer a more even torque application not prone to streching or uneven pulling. because your tightening them down against the head where a bolt is pulling the head down to the block
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
75SV1

I think the ones with the threads are for the wire support for the Injectors. There should be two or three black plastic post with a 'C' at the top. These slip over those threaded bolts. On the Newer bolts 96+ (I think), two of them have a post or dowel sticking uo from the bolts. These align the rubber valve cover gasket. It doesn't apply to your year, but just in case.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.