having problems getting into 1st gesr or reverse st a stop. in a 97 wrangler se 5 sp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > having problems getting into 1st gesr or reverse st a stop. in a 97 wrangler se 5 sp

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
chasfer

having problems getting into 1st gesr or reverse st a stop. in a 97 wrangler se 5 sp

As the title says I'm ha ving troble shifting into 1st or reverse from complete stop

chasfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Grinding in reverse and an inability to shift into first at a stop is usually a sign of a clutch that isn't disengaging. I would be looking at the master cylinder, line, or the slave cylinder first. After that, you will need to check the pivot, t/o arm, t/o bearing/ and lastly, the clutch assembly itself.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
chasfer

Thanks jd2000. These are things I thought would be the problem I havent even had a stick in years. Ill deff take the advice
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
gearfather

shut the motor off, if it shifts ok then, put a clutch in it.....or adjust yours properly...meaning, make sure that there is not any air in the cyls etc.....

Last edited by gearfather; 11-19-2012 at 11:31 PM..
gearfather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfather View Post
...or adjust yours properly...
Where should he look for the clutch adjustment on a TJ?

chasfer - is the clutch slipping in 4th or 5th if you get happy with the skinny pedal? With the engine running and the rig sitting still, do you have trouble getting into any other gears besides Reverse and 1st?
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
chasfer

I only have trouble getting into 1st gear from a complete stop. And reverse.
And I havent experienced any tranny slip. Of course its a 4 banger 97 so its such a pooch I really baby her. Its been lots of fun to drive especially on the 200 acre farm I hunt. Thats a big reasin I bought it. Deer hunting. And 4x4 to pull deer out of the back 40
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Synchronizers
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Synchronizers
If it won't go into first, and it grinds going into reverse, then the input shaft is still rotating.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
gearfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Synchronizers
reverse doesn,t have a synchronizer.
gearfather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.