Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

have been avoiding this question: whats wrong with my trans?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dirtymissouri 
#1 ·
I'm stumped. Need help. I don't know what to do from here.
Load down:
95 zj 4.0 with a 42re auto 197k
I've had this jeep for a month.
It was stuck in limp mode. Start off in 3rd gear and no OD. But, if the jeep had been sitting in the sun all day or it was say..70℉ or more, it would shift 1-OD with out a problem.
After reading thread after thread seeing that most guys suggest the governor pressure sensor and selenoid, I ordered mine. Dropped the pan, fluid looked good no metal shavings of any kind. Replaced the filter and the two selenoids. Put it all back together and filled her up (took about 3.75 quarts of ATF+4 to fill her back up. Started it, backed out the drive way and put it in (D). 1st gear. SWEET IT WORKED! 3500...4000...4500... wheres second gear.. let go of the gas, it drops down to idle RPM and doesn't "catch" again until the previous RPM is reached again. Putting the shifter in (2) does nothing and in (1) allows for engine braking. Have heard to pull the trans fuse and try manual shift but the jeep won't start without that fuse. Took it to local tranny shop and got free electronic diagnostic. They used a machine that they call Schaefer that bypasses all electronics including PCM and become the trans brain. Said it still diesnt shift up and they want 103$ per hour to drop the pan and look into it further. any way.. that's where I stand.. stuck in first. I don't want to rebuild because I don't have the patience to do it or cash to pay. I know it's something simple. Can anybody with a little more trans experience shed some light on this situation? Would it be easier to just do a tranny swap or are the same issues likely. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jacob

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing is to reopen the tranny and see what you did wrong. It should have at least still been in limp mode. Since it won't shift out of first I'm thinking one of the new solenoids you put in is bad/not connected right/ not the correct part. Put the old ones back in and see what you get.

#3 ·
Thats a good place to start.. they were form eBay so reputation is unknown (probably junk chinese replica) I'll drop and replace tomorrow.. Will post outcome. But, if one wasn't connected right wouldnt there be a code for circuit failure or something along those lines?

#4 ·
The RE could throw codes but you need a tranny code reader to find out. I bought a newer reader that is supposed to read transmissions and ABS codes when my truck's 47RE started acting up. It didn't show anything, when I gave up and brought it to a shop they had a tranny specific reader and were able to tell me that it was a short in one of three wires and where they were. I could have paid the 25$ for diagnosis and gone home but I was so over chasing gremlins I just paid the $45 and had them find and fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.