Grinding/Growling noise from T-case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Grinding/Growling noise from T-case

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grinding/Growling noise from T-case

Hey everyone!
1993 YJ with a 2" suspension lift.
New driveshaft (broke the old one, also chewed up 2 slip yokes)
New rear brakes, drums and all. They were badly warped after a Doh moment on the trail.

I've been chasing a driveline vibration for about 2 weeks now. The new brakes and new driveshaft seem to have solved the axle hop/vibration. It would only hop when I was slowing down. During acceleration or at cruising speeds I had no shake what so ever, and no noise.

Now to the problem...
When I hit a bump and the suspension starts to flex and bounce I get a growl/grinding noise from the tcase area. The severity is directly linked to how big of a bump or how many bumps in a row. Rough road makes the Jeep sound like the t-case is about to blow itself apart. It doesn't seem to affect drivability, other than scaring the living crap out of me.
Any ideas what this could be?

Other pertinent info. The rear shocks are shot. original chrysler shocks with 250k on them. I am switching them out with new Bilsteins tonight.

-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
wrightjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

growling noise

I read where you had a drive shaft made. could it be just a bit too long? when compressing suspension the slip yoke goes into the rear output of the transfer case. If it is too long this is hard on the planetary output shaft and can cause your noise. If you notice the front drive shaft will collapse on compression of the suspension. just a thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.