Grand Cherokee ZJ with a BLOWER?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Grand Cherokee ZJ with a BLOWER??

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
frostbite91

Grand Cherokee ZJ with a BLOWER??

been entertaining the thought of putting a blower on my 5.2L GC ZJ. always thought of ways to get more out of the underimpressive 245HP gasshog V8. got the idea from a car show where they bought a jaguar w/ a stock chevy 350 and bolted on a twin screw supercharger/blower and only boosted it 5 PSI. just wondering what you guys would think? im not looking to own the drag strip, just looking for around 300 hp. i'll need to replace my piston rings as they are leaking. im pretty sure the 318 is low enough compression, i can get away with it w/ out buying forged pistons/crank and other expensive stuff... an MSD is a must, probably slap on 2 holly carbs (since it has Holly throttle body, might as well keep it the same) and maybe a low-idle cam to make it sound big and rumbley plus how cool would it be to drive up to a 93 grand cherokee with peeling paint and a friggin BLOWER stickin out of the hood? maybe i'll photoshop somethin up to see how it'll look. leave me a comment, i want opinions, maybe i can start a build thread if i land this job XD

frostbite91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Keep in mind all the other drivetrain components. How well is your transmission going to like that extra 50 HP?

I think it would be cool though.
..().)..().)---).). 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
frostbite91

Heh, mine slips between 1st n 2nd sometimes already... bet i can mate the tranny from the 9ers on it tho... or maybe a 5.2 ram 1500 has a better tranny
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite91
Heh, mine slips between 1st n 2nd sometimes already... bet i can mate the tranny from the 9ers on it tho... or maybe a 5.2 ram 1500 has a better tranny
Chrysler had always had a reputation for poor transmissions. The aw4 is a good one but that's made by Toyota IIRC. A 5 speed blown 318 with a 242 behind it and some 4.10 gears? Unstoppable. That 242 would give you AWD street capability.
..().)..().)---).). 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
frostbite91

You know, ive seen 5speed v8 GCs, and i dont like how the shifter comes up under the ash tray. I know the 93 GC Basics had 5 speeds, but only w/the the 4.0 i wonder if you can get an extended bell housing for a 5 speed from a dakota and get it to come up in the center console, then i'd just need a 5speed console... hmmmmm
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Or just pull out the lump of iron, and put a LSx in there instead. Over 300HP, and use the Chevy tranny to solve that issue.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
frostbite91

Id prob buy a quadra-drive GC before i would do an engine swap, plus, the friggin engine bay is small enough in these. I bet they designed the engine bay for the 4.0 and one guy said to another "i bet i could cram a v8 in there"....
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
frostbite91

PLUS, i just want the blower for show, but still functional. Im never going to race or do any extreme offroading in it, it'll just be a head-turner and people dont have to know its not pushing 500hp(low idle cam outta make it sound uber beefy)... i'll even leave the peeling paint on it haha
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
ramthis426
2005 WK 

just slap in a nv4500 5 speed from an old cummins or v10 ram it will hold, i own both trucks and trust me that tranny can take a beating the v10 is basically a burnout truck now that i have the cummins

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.