Gotta pass emissions with the Ram... help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Gotta pass emissions with the Ram... help?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2001, 01:16 AM   #1
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Gotta pass emissions with the Ram... help?

Ok so here's the deal. I misunderstood the emissions law and so I'm 1 year off from where I thought I was. That means I have to pass an emissions inspection before I can renew my license tabs.
(360 4bbl)
I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll probably have to buy a pair of cats and some new mufflers.
Anybody know if it is possible to pass the emissions without the smog pumps if I get a set of headers?
Will a muffler shop touch my truck if I put headers in and take out the smog pumps? I would like to go headers - h pipe - high flow cats - flowmaster (40 series?) - out the passenger's side in front of the rear tire.

I've got two months to get it ready.

horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
I-4

i think it will fail the visual part of the inspection w/o the smog pumps;but you could check your states emissions laws to be sure.headers aren't illegal as long as they have a state exemption number or a c.a.r.b. number.hth
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:13 AM   #3
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I guess my plan of action is to just head in and fail the inspection, then spend a few hundred "trying" to get it to work, then fail again and get a waiver.

Thanks for the input though.
Unread 01-02-2002, 04:28 AM   #4
MuddyCJ5

I got this advice a few years ago from an EPA guy, and it works! If you change your oil right before the test almost any engine will pass. As far as the visual thing goes i can't help. But i do know that the oil trick works. I had 79 cj5 with a hollowed out converter disabled smog pump,and no EGR valve, it passed the test in 20 seconds! The guy giving the test said "Damn! that is the cleanest running 1979 engine i've ever seen" Brand new oil will absorb almost 98% of all emissions for the first few hundred miles. All of my cars have been tampered with one way or another, and i've never had one fail the E-Check. Hope this helps......Happy Trails, Dan
MuddyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Very interesting... if it works, great! Thanks for the tip. Now maybe my hood latch will have to get stuck.
Unread 01-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #6
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Well... I didn't change the oil, and I STUPIDLY forgot to put the belt on my smog pumps when I got my truck tested today.

Guess what. I failed. but only the CO part of the "cruise" test (@2500rpm). Legal is 3%, I came in at 5%.

I've been busting my hump trying to figure out what I need as far as emissions controls to pass the visual, and I FINALLY found the answer. Since my truck is an 86 3/4 ton with Federal emissions on a 8510 lbs gross weight, it didn't come with cats from the factory. So I don't need them. So I won't get them. I've decided to go with a Flowmaster 30 series and 3" single exhaust. I know... everybody loves dual exhaust, but I just want it simple. Single 3" should provide plenty of flow, especially since once the gas leaves the manifold, the most restrictive piece is the muffler.

Now... I was planning on getting the carb looked at anyway, trying to increase fuel economy a little, and cold idle quality. Now I need to add CO @ cruise to the list of things to get fixed. It's a Rochester Quadrajet on the 360. There's a little electric thing I noticed on the side that looks like it's supposed to kick the idle up a little, but nothing is plugged into it. So I know there are issues with the setup.

Is the Rochester Q-jet a decent carb? Or would I be better off getting rid of it and putting a Holley, Webber, ???? on it? I'd rather not spend any more money than I have to, and I have to use an EPA approved mechanic for the work, so doing things myself isn't an option.

This is mainly addressed to those of you with 360s in your CJ, J-series, Wagoneer, etc.

Oh, BTW, is there any way to boost power without failing the emissions? I'd like to do whatever I can and pass, rather than pay for work now, pass, then pay for redoing stuff later. The 360 in the Wagoneer is supposed to have something like 144hp/265ft-lbs, which sounds a little pathetic. The Magnum 318 does better than that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.