Got the Ford T 18, now hoping for some guidance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Got the Ford T 18, now hoping for some guidance

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Got the Ford T 18, now hoping for some guidance

I originally posted this in the CJ thread as I normally have no posts in this one I failed to notice this one dedicated to Drivetrain (my bad)

I got this 1980 (by the code) Ford T 18 w/the 6.32 granny for $20 over the $50 core at my local wrecking yard as the gearshift was stuck. 5 seconds at a local shop with a large screwdriver down the gearshift hole and it was free.

This is my first attempt at rebuilding a transmission but luckily the T 150 in my Jeep is working fine so this project isn't urgent for the time being.
I craked the case last weekend and I found the First-Second Clutch Sleeve showed signs of wear on the beveled side while my cursory novice look inside the case I saw no other obvious signs of wear.

The Inner Sanctum

Close up of the First-Second Clutch Sleeve

The Shift Control Housing

I've found some posts on how others have rebuilt theirs but I'm thinking some information is lacking and/or inconclusive. Lacking a mentor (Mac of Macs Jeeparts) that passed away a couple of years ago I'm looking to the forums I belong to for help.
Initially I think I'm needing some new tools to add to my two rollaways Lock Ring expanders, Copper mallet etc. Any information of tools needed would be great!

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid.

Gus

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The trans seems very clean on the inside. Personally, unless you feel the bearings are bad, I would run it. The "wear " on the slider is normal and won't effect the transmissions operation.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:24 AM   #3
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Granted, I don't know what I'm looking at but the close up of that gear has me concerned. In the meantime gathering special tools.

From another forum I saw a fresh First-Second Clutch Sleeve, and mine is toast
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.