Which are good stainless steel ceramic coated headers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Which are good stainless steel ceramic coated headers?

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Smoked Style Hood Air DeflectorIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Which are good stainless steel ceramic coated headers for 4L?

For my 99 XJ with 4L engine

I want to increase flow, but also want to reduce heat in engine compartment.

Reducing heat in engine compartment is why I want a ceramic coated header. The better insulation the better.

Also, would prefer headers that won't rust. So stainless would be nice.

So what are the best choices for headers that do those things?

[I know I'll need additional items to fully increase flow (cold air intake, a better head, better exhaust system, maybe better intake manifold, maybe an aftermarket cam)

While on topic of headers, I'd also like to ask about heads. What are good ways to get a better head? Port stock head? Buy aftermarket head? Are there ceramic coated afrermarket heads? I know a head is different than a header. I am asking about both.

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have learned the Titanium Ceramic coated are a little better for same money as Silver Titanium coated. So now I'm looking ofr Titanium Ceramic coated, unless there is a better coating available.

So far I find JBA and Flow Master brands of stainless steel, titanium ceramic coated headers for Jeep 4L engines. Is one brand better than another? If so, why?

What is better: titanium ceramic coating or polished ceramic coating?
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

forget the "cold air intake". the flow problems of the 4.0L reside primarily with the head & valvetrain. look into a better cam, bigger valves w/ 3-angle valve job, roller rockers, head porting, and late model intake manifold. A 62/63mmm throttle body won't hurt either.

All that will cost a pretty penny, and you might get a real, usable 15-20hp/tq across the RPM range. basically look at the same head setup the guys with strokers are running....or better yet, just do a stroker while you're at it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm trying to only do performance mods that will help mpg and performance, or at least not hurt mpg. From what I've read, a cam (like Mopar Purple) would reduce mpg slightly, and a stroker would reduce mpg a lot.

I only need 20 HP, though 30 HP would be ideal. My engine almost has enough poop now. Just need a little more power at mid and high rpm without losing any power at low rpm, and wanting to at least keep the gas mileage I have, but ideally want to improve gas mileage a little. Along with regearing, that'd be enough to make me happy with 31s, skid plates and small winch, in the mountains.

Regarding head: Were you saying it's better to port stock head than to buy an aftermarket head?
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I'm trying to only do performance mods that will help mpg and performance, or at least not hurt mpg. From what I've read, a cam (like Mopar Purple) would reduce mpg slightly, and a stroker would reduce mpg a lot.
how you alter fuel delivery (you will need a piggyback ECU), and how you drive will have far great effects on MPG.

Quote:
I only need 20 HP, though 30 HP would be ideal. My engine almost has enough poop now. Just need a little more power at mid and high rpm without losing any power at low rpm, and wanting to at least keep the gas mileage I have, but ideally want to improve gas mileage a little.
put the jeep on a diet. lose weight.

Quote:
Regarding head: Were you saying it's better to port stock head than to buy an aftermarket head?
well, you need to weigh the pros and cons of both. Your 1999 0630 head isn't bad as far as airflow, and porting a stock head is usually the cheaper option. Aftermarket heads, depending on which one we're talking about, may be similar or a lot better. Some need the block to be decked or the head to be shaved to retain stock-ish compression ratio.

Which brings up the next thing - bumping the compression ratio up a little will also improve power, but you'll need higher octane fuel, but again a custom piggyback tune to make all this work together effectively.

See where this is going? deck the block, mill the head, port the head, bigger valves, 3-angle valve job, etc....you're almost going to have to pull the motor to do all this work. You might as well bore it out and stroke it while you're at it. It's almost the same amount of work and the cost isn't all that different.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
how you alter fuel delivery (you will need a piggyback ECU), and how you drive will have far great effects on MPG.

put the jeep on a diet. lose weight.

well, you need to weigh the pros and cons of both. Your 1999 0630 head isn't bad as far as airflow, and porting a stock head is usually the cheaper option. Aftermarket heads, depending on which one we're talking about, may be similar or a lot better. Some need the block to be decked or the head to be shaved to retain stock-ish compression ratio.

Which brings up the next thing - bumping the compression ratio up a little will also improve power, but you'll need higher octane fuel, but again a custom piggyback tune to make all this work together effectively.

See where this is going? deck the block, mill the head, port the head, bigger valves, 3-angle valve job, etc....you're almost going to have to pull the motor to do all this work. You might as well bore it out and stroke it while you're at it. It's almost the same amount of work and the cost isn't all that different.

/\
This

Well put 04!

Only way to make the 4.0L more efficient it to keep it well maintained period! Keep it within it's parameters, keep XJ lean & mean, tires play a vital role in MPG, you should eek out 17-19 around town and 20-24 Interstate.

It's about keeping the vehicle within it's engineered boundaries!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.