Is this a good price for a gear install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is this a good price for a gear install?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is this a good price for a gear install?

I was quoted $950 for changing out my gears to 4.10's from 3.07's on my
D30/D35 combo which includes the gears and the install. I do not plan on going over 32-33" tires or ever fully locking the rear axle. They would throw in a Eaton limited slip in the rear for an extra 300 bucks though. I have a 5 speed manual with the 4.0 I6 and I'm currently running about 1700 rpm at 72mph in 5th gear which is unusuable under that speed with the 31's I have currently.

The shop is Called Options Performance in Kennewick, WA. Anyone know if their work is decent.

Anyone know if the eaton is any good for a limited slip?

35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
jm76

The cheapest is not necessarilly the best for you...

Here's my new take on the cost of gear swaps...

I had a local shop that did front with a lock right and rear with a arb for $485 for labor. Needless to say they messed up big time and have destroyed 3 sets of gears so now I'm taking my Jeep into a shop that only does drive train work. This new shop is going to cost me $689 for labor and I sure wish I had gone to them first.

So, in my opinion you really get what you pay for.

Jim
jm76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
NOTQUITEMUSASHI
1991 YJ Wrangler 

both axles AND gears? its a little steep but not outrageous if they do good work
Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
CSA Jeepers Association Member#2
MERRY WACKO JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1
I BUILT MY OWN JEEP JEEP CLUB MEMBER #91
Apathetic jeep club for people who don't care about people who don't give a rats a$$ about people who have an apathetic jeep club jeep club club member # f this
RE 2.5XD + .5 shackles
ho-made f & r bumpers
bfg mt 33", 4.10's D30 xjD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecord
NOTQUITEMUSASHI and tcourdin, TJVigilante might not like you guys, BUT I LOVE YOU! Can we have a 3 way? :rofl:
NOTQUITEMUSASHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
apxpred
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Randy's ring & pinion (over on the wet side) charges $380 for labor per axel. They'll be seeing me soon for a S35/detroit/4.10 install, looking at about $1500.00
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
mphudak

Best deal could find to regear my 30/44 (w/new open carrier in the rear) was 1400 in Atlanta. You may want to look around first and see if you can find a used set from a 4cyl for cheap. I went HP30 from an xj w/4.10's and a rubi 44 and came in about 1/2 of the regear (rubi rear had a cracked weld on the control bracket that needed to be fixed) Your quote is pretty good though
mphudak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

under $1000 for parts and labor isn't a bad deal at all for a regear...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.