Good Mechanic for Powertrain Swaps in Oregon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Good Mechanic for Powertrain Swaps in Oregon

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good Mechanic for Powertrain Swaps in Oregon

I recently talked to a local mechanic (Chuck) about pulling my 4.0L so I could have it rebuilt, he said that long run I'd be better off swapping it for a GM LS 350 and a 5 speed which is what I would love to do, but it is pricey and I would like a second opinion before I dive into something like this. My buddy use to work for Leonard, but he said he is trying to stick to axles. Whether or not that is still the case I don't know. Other than these guys I don't know any mechanics in the Portland area, Please Help!

2000NWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
DaemonForce

Ignore him and stick to the 4.0L. Unless it's as tired as a 258 with 200K on it you don't need to blow a bunch of money to go to a completely new drivetrain. I seriously doubt you have trouble driving West up the 26 like I do and for whatever you do you're already better off cycling through an updated catalog full of performance options for the 4.0L.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce
Ignore him and stick to the 4.0L. Unless it's as tired as a 258 with 200K on it you don't need to blow a bunch of money to go to a completely new drivetrain. I seriously doubt you have trouble driving West up the 26 like I do and for whatever you do you're already better off cycling through an updated catalog full of performance options for the 4.0L.
It's a 2000 4.0 with 175k on it. I just hope I don't rebuild the motor and have the transmission give out a year later.
2000NWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
DaemonForce

Strength issues? I don't know what the AW4 is like because I don't use modern transmissions but my torqueflite is plenty troublesome whenever I let someone ELSE try to rebuild it for me. It's the easiest automatic I've ever overhauled but people seem to cut corners in everything. I've always found it better to avoid outside help in these matters.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't imagine hiring an unknown mechanic to take on a project like this.

Too expensive, too risky.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.