Going to start a rebuild project...have questions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Going to start a rebuild project...have questions!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Wish

Going to start a rebuild project...have questions!

Well I've decided to get an engine and start a rebuild project and have a motor ready to go when my girl goes out on me...I have a 97 TJ, 4.0 currently, and have been looking around, some places I hear that all the Jeep engines are the same. I'm also finding differences...for example, looking at the rebuild kits, they break them down..87 to 95, or 96 to 98.........like this ad I copy/pasted in below:
Anyway when I go to get my engine, what can I get and what are the differences? Are they simply accessory placement or is there something I just haven't found in my research?
I thought why not ask the experts! Any advice or input would be super!
Thanks
Wish

4.0 Liter/242 cu.in. L6 1987-95 - master engine kit AM242MK $583.86
4.0 Liter/242 cu.in. L6 1987-95 - engine kit AM242EK $420.40
OHV AMC engine Jeep Cherokee
4.0L/242 cu. in. L6 1996-98 - master engine kit AM242LMK $581.76 (No camshaft or lifters)
OHV AMC engine Jeep & Cherokee
Lifters are available purchased separately.
4.0L/242 cu. in. L6 1999-00 - master engine kit AM242LLMK $691.40 (No camsahft or lifters)
OHV AMC engine
Lifters are available purchased separately.
4.0L/242 cu. in. L6 2001 - master engine kit Custom kit $689.42 (No pistons or camshaft) - lifters are in this kit.

Wish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
DeconsTructionJ

I think they have done a few changes to the NVH over the years that is most likely the differences

here is a suggestion: since you are going to rebuild one why dont you make a stroker engine?
Canadian Jeep Club Member #23

Sold My Rubicon, I will have another jeep someday
DeconsTructionJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Wish

Could consider it...

Well I haven't thought that far ahead...wouldn't I still need to find a block to start out with?
I don't want to tear into the engine I have now, its running just peachy So I want to leave it alone and just start a "new" build and have it as a project until my running engine does go.
What can you tell me about strokers? I think I'd have to weigh things out and decide whether or not it was for me.......
Thanks
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
DeconsTructionJ

read this link http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html it may answer a few of your questions I would try to get a 97 up engine to build off of
Canadian Jeep Club Member #23

Sold My Rubicon, I will have another jeep someday
DeconsTructionJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

read this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516745
Unread 03-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Wish

Wow!

I have been so busy I haven't been able to get back on and see these replys. Thank you Never Monday for the link to the pictures. I'm actually shocked! As much reading as I've done, I'd say 90% of it has said they're all virtually the same....well guess not eh?
After giving it some thought I don't think I'm going to rebuild first...I think I'll go with a built motor, and then keep my old motor as a spare. My next delima is whether or not I want to go with a stroker. I am leaning that way, even though its more money...I haven't seen a big reason NOT to go with the stroker...this jeep is my daily driver for a few years until I get a second car, then she gets to be my toy. Its hard for me to not think ahead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.