Getting a Detroit Locker. What if I Have a Thick Ring Gear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Getting a Detroit Locker. What if I Have a Thick Ring Gear?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Getting a Detroit Locker. What if I Have a Thick Ring Gear?

Hey y'all,

I've got an '01 TJ with a Dana 44 rear. The previous owner had 4.56s installed (Precision Gear). He told me he needed a new carrier for the gears which makes sense because the Jeep originally had 3.73s. It seems Precision Gear offers thick and normal versions of their gears. I'd imagine he would've kept the old carrier if he'd opted for thick gears so I suspect I've got the "normal" gears.

I'd prefer not to drain the fluid just to check the thickness of the ring gear, but do I have a choice? The other question is if the Detroit is only offered in one configuration then I suppose I'll have no choice but to buy a new ring and pinion.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tommy

Unread 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've sent an e-mail to the orig. owner of the Jeep and hope to get some clarification from him.... In the meantime I'm open to suggestions.

Tommy
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
jason m
your ad here...

why not just get lockrite or another type of lunch box locker. not saying detriots are bad ( i had one in my 14 bolt for years now its welded ) but it's easyer and cheaper to run a lunchbox and you get the same results. not trying to stop you and your choice, just giving you another option that im sure you all ready considered, jason.
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
why not just get lockrite or another type of lunch box locker. not saying detriots are bad ( i had one in my 14 bolt for years now its welded ) but it's easyer and cheaper to run a lunchbox and you get the same results. not trying to stop you and your choice, just giving you another option that im sure you all ready considered, jason.
Yes, a lunch box will get you a full locker, however, it doesn't have the strength of a full carrier Detriot Locker. The ones I've seen are also harsher and loader than the Detriot Locker (which is a soft locker). Weaker and noisier but also still good bang for the buck.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the thick ring gears were for rubicon model 44's but I've been wrong before.
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91
Yes, a lunch box will get you a full locker, however, it doesn't have the strength of a full carrier Detriot Locker. The ones I've seen are also harsher and loader than the Detriot Locker (which is a soft locker). Weaker and noisier but also still good bang for the buck.
i totaly agree, they only other problem with a fullcase detriot is they are prone to shock load, another words if you break one side shaft you can wipe out the locker or the other side shaft. there was a huge write up on pirate about this, i never had a problem but i never broke a shaft, just the housing. so i cant coment on the fact that they can break like that, but i read and see ( on pirate ) peaple with one side broke and the locker in piece's or the other side let loose and broke.
i will try to dig up the thread and a side note i run a lockrite in the front 60 for 3 1/2 years now with 39's a heavy foot and no problems with it, jason.
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
ringpinion.biz

Detroit

Why not just get a detroit for 3.73 and down 187s-16D? Then you can keep your thick gears, or you could go with an ected electric locker for not much more.
509-888-AXLE
info@justdifferentials.com
www.justdifferentials.com
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2151670/i//J_T_button120X60.JPG
ringpinion.biz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I didn't get an e-mail note that there were more replies to this. Hmm... Anyhoo....

I considered a lunchbox locker, but don't want one for the rear. It was rather annoying in my fullsize Bronco and I've heard it's worse in a short wheelbase TJ. So for me, the choice for the rear is a full Detroit or a full spool. Also, I've got a limited slip carrier. I'd have to get an open diff to install a lunchbox. If I'm going through that hassle, I'll opt for a full Detroit. A selectable locker for the rear just doesn't interest me, but thanks for the suggestion.

As it turns out, I heard from the orig. owner of my Jeep and he confirmed I've got a standard ring gear. However, I've since decided that with the purchase of a new house looming that I'd be better off saving some of that money. So I decided to just get a Lock Right for the front for now.

Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.