getting 4wheel linkage through bushing hole? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > getting 4wheel linkage through bushing hole?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

getting 4wheel linkage through bushing hole?

shear pin came out of linkage and came out of the nylon bushing. Must be an easier way to get that dang thing through that hole. Makes me wonder how I helped procreate three kids. Hmmm. KY jelly? Orrr...Maybe I didn't?

Any other advice would be appreciated. On the nylon bushing.... I have the other one figured out.

jeepish59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I used WD-40 and a pair of pliers. It should pop in with a little effort. I'm talking about the linkage of course.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

wd40

And the prize goes to relgnarw. I decided not to you KY but used your suggestion instead and it worked like a charm. Thanks. I feel stupid for not thinking of it.

But now I have an additional question I'd like to bounce off you. 4wd linkage connected. now no reverse, starts in park and neutral, feels like it wants to go forward while in reverse but goes forward fine in OD, D 1, 2. Might be unrelated but.... I am medium talent shade tree mechanic but new to 4X4 so I have little knowledge of linkage and transmission system of the 4's. Just recently learned you have to have four tires the same size. So I am that new.

And if based on what I have told you you are going to tell me my tranny is shot, well, if you write back talk about the weather or something. anything but having to replace the tranny.

I lived in Massolon (It was a huge sports town back then, late 70's) and Canton for a while. I followed the Amish carpenters around painting houses. Just what we would have if the Amish built cars and trucks. Hmm. At the very least they would get the mileage they claim on the sticker but probably not electric radios or seats. At least they would have a place for my shovel.

Thanks again
Ish

Last edited by jeepish59; 05-19-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I knew a tranny once....... Seriously though, now it sounds like a transmission linkage issue. If you are sure you have the transfer case linkage good to go, check the transmission linkage. I'd disconect it from the trans and manually shift it to park, and adjust the cable in or out until it shifts correctly.

As far as the Amish goes, I've never seen a 4 wheel drive buggy. Yeah, I'm about 10 minutes north of Canton, right now the weather is great but that could change in a second.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

flashy tranny

I worked at a place in Atlanta. saw this beautiful jeep tranny, tall and lanky, long curley hair half way down her back, over six foot tall. Asked the security guard about her. "Oh. You mean him?" When you cant tell the difference you know you know you have lost your mojo. Ya ever seen that commercial on you tube about wedding night? check it out...

Did as you suggested. was only about a quarter inch off but I could not figure out how to adjust the dang thing. is a quarter inch enough to make it malfunction? have some time today will look it over again but here is what i found today.

have a buddy helping me today. maybe i can figure out a way to bypass linkage and shift through gears without being under it or standing in front of it and getting run over.

also did the key on and off got codes 12 and 14. would map sensor have anything to do with this?

I also checked the gear selector to make sure what gears are in drive and if there is neutral. all positions put it in drive, even neutral. It will however start in the neutral position but when it does it will take off right away which is exciting. all forward gears work and while driving it shifts through all gears including OD. park does not move forward but you can tell there is a little pressure on the plate.

I have been trying to trace a vacuum leak down that was making it idle high. I think I found most of it but still think I have a bit of a leak unless it is just the computer readjusting things over the last 30 miles.

I had to put an engine in it this winter so I am trying to work out the bugs and no reverse, starting in neutral and immediately launching are big bugs.

be nice if one adjustment fixed all the glitches.

Thanks for your help so far.

ish.
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Garrett2go

image-3870399955.jpg

My 4 wheel drive won't engage this is a picture of the linkage I think the bushing is missing because it keeps slipping out of the opposite side

Name:  image-3870399955.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  435.2 KB
image-564771791.jpg

Garrett2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
AMA-JEEP

2003 TJ Wrangler 

same problem

I had almost an identical problem but my only problem is the 4WD, when we did my 6" lift apparently the bushing where the linkage goes in to the frame the link did not align perfectly in the hole and finally came out, I wonder if they have a drop down bracket where it's placed lower to match the diff height.?? I hope I'm making sense on the description. It was a pain in the butt to put it back in.

This is after replacing it back in into the frame holder, any advise on this and do they make a bracket to lower that down from the frame?
AMA-JEEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.