General question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > General question

2011-2014 Jeep JK Wrangler Tuning now available on SuperchSteinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

General question

What is the difference between the transfer question and the transfer case?

jeepingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
mrmalmo82
1995 ZJ 

Your question makes no sense...
mrmalmo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Woah ya I don't know what I meant by that. I meant what is that difference between transmission and the transfer case?
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
mrmalmo82
1995 ZJ 

Your transmission is connected to your engine, and is what shifts gears. If your vehicle is four wheel drive, it will have a transfer case attached to the output shaft of the transmission, which transfers the transmission's output to both the front and rear differential, depending on the users selected setting on the transfer case. This is also dependant on whether or not the vehicle is AWD, because then the operator usually has no choice other than if they want high range or low range. Hope this helps!
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmalmo82
Your transmission is connected to your engine, and is what shifts gears. If your vehicle is four wheel drive, it will have a transfer case attached to the output shaft of the transmission, which transfers the transmission's output to both the front and rear differential, depending on the users selected setting on the transfer case. This is also dependant on whether or not the vehicle is AWD, because then the operator usually has no choice other than if they want high range or low range. Hope this helps!
Helps a lot! So I was having problems with vibratory and I thought it was the drive shaft. So someone suggested I take the drive shaft out and put it in four wheel drive then drive to see if the vibration was gone with no drive shaft. But I don't understand how that would work if there was no drive shaft connected to the transfer case to give power to the back wheels? If that makes sense. Could you explain that to me? Thanks so much!
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepingforlife View Post
Helps a lot! So I was having problems with vibratory and I thought it was the drive shaft. So someone suggested I take the drive shaft out and put it in four wheel drive then drive to see if the vibration was gone with no drive shaft. But I don't understand how that would work if there was no drive shaft connected to the transfer case to give power to the back wheels? If that makes sense. Could you explain that to me? Thanks so much!
The vibrations could be coming from the ujoints in either your front or rear driveshaft. By removing a driveshaft and seeing if vibrations still exist you determine whether coming from that shaft or not. The front shaft can be removed and you can drive in 2H like normal. But to be able to drive with the rear removed you have to engage 4H to get drive to the front wheels (since the rear will not have a driveshaft in).
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Please, please fill out your profile. Many issues are particular to specific years and drivetrains.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Please, please fill out your profile. Many issues are particular to specific years and drivetrains.
What do you mean fill out my profile? Like register my jeep? The page always has problem loading on my phone.
Unread 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Click on "my account" at the top right of the page. It will take you to a page that allows you to fill in information on your Jeep.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Click on "my account" at the top right of the page. It will take you to a page that allows you to fill in information on your Jeep.

image-2073966385.jpg

I don't see a "my account"? Am I looking in the wrong place?
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Go to the web site on a computer. The app sucks unless you just post and read posts.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you pull your rear drive shaft out an run in 4x4, you'll in turn be like a front wheel drive car. Just using front axle to move you. Is the vibrations always there, or at a certain speed? Lifted?

Sent from my space using JeepForum
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingJustin
If you pull your rear drive shaft out an run in 4x4, you'll in turn be like a front wheel drive car. Just using front axle to move you. Is the vibrations always there, or at a certain speed? Lifted?

Sent from my space using JeepForum
Yes I have a 4" suspension and brand new 315's on it. The vibration is only when accelerating. Once I take my foot off the gas it is fine. And I'm positive the vibration is coming from the back.
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
mrmalmo82
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like u-joints...
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmalmo82
Sounds like u-joints...
How much would that cost to get fixed?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.