JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   General question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/general-question-1527868/)

jeepingforlife 05-24-2013 05:30 PM

General question

What is the difference between the transfer question and the transfer case?

mrmalmo82 05-24-2013 07:05 PM

Your question makes no sense...

jeepingforlife 05-24-2013 10:16 PM

Woah ya I don't know what I meant by that. I meant what is that difference between transmission and the transfer case?

mrmalmo82 05-24-2013 10:45 PM

Your transmission is connected to your engine, and is what shifts gears. If your vehicle is four wheel drive, it will have a transfer case attached to the output shaft of the transmission, which transfers the transmission's output to both the front and rear differential, depending on the users selected setting on the transfer case. This is also dependant on whether or not the vehicle is AWD, because then the operator usually has no choice other than if they want high range or low range. Hope this helps!

jeepingforlife 05-25-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmalmo82
Your transmission is connected to your engine, and is what shifts gears. If your vehicle is four wheel drive, it will have a transfer case attached to the output shaft of the transmission, which transfers the transmission's output to both the front and rear differential, depending on the users selected setting on the transfer case. This is also dependant on whether or not the vehicle is AWD, because then the operator usually has no choice other than if they want high range or low range. Hope this helps!

Helps a lot! So I was having problems with vibratory and I thought it was the drive shaft. So someone suggested I take the drive shaft out and put it in four wheel drive then drive to see if the vibration was gone with no drive shaft. But I don't understand how that would work if there was no drive shaft connected to the transfer case to give power to the back wheels? If that makes sense. Could you explain that to me? Thanks so much!

biffgnar 05-25-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepingforlife (Post 15479073)
Helps a lot! So I was having problems with vibratory and I thought it was the drive shaft. So someone suggested I take the drive shaft out and put it in four wheel drive then drive to see if the vibration was gone with no drive shaft. But I don't understand how that would work if there was no drive shaft connected to the transfer case to give power to the back wheels? If that makes sense. Could you explain that to me? Thanks so much!

The vibrations could be coming from the ujoints in either your front or rear driveshaft. By removing a driveshaft and seeing if vibrations still exist you determine whether coming from that shaft or not. The front shaft can be removed and you can drive in 2H like normal. But to be able to drive with the rear removed you have to engage 4H to get drive to the front wheels (since the rear will not have a driveshaft in).

jeepdaddy2000 05-25-2013 12:17 PM

Please, please fill out your profile. Many issues are particular to specific years and drivetrains.

jeepingforlife 05-25-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Please, please fill out your profile. Many issues are particular to specific years and drivetrains.

What do you mean fill out my profile? Like register my jeep? The page always has problem loading on my phone.

jeepdaddy2000 05-25-2013 02:54 PM

Click on "my account" at the top right of the page. It will take you to a page that allows you to fill in information on your Jeep.

jeepingforlife 05-25-2013 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Click on "my account" at the top right of the page. It will take you to a page that allows you to fill in information on your Jeep.

Attachment 630735

I don't see a "my account"? Am I looking in the wrong place?

TJ_Virgin 05-25-2013 07:38 PM

Go to the web site on a computer. The app sucks unless you just post and read posts.

JeepingJustin 05-26-2013 02:16 PM

If you pull your rear drive shaft out an run in 4x4, you'll in turn be like a front wheel drive car. Just using front axle to move you. Is the vibrations always there, or at a certain speed? Lifted?

Sent from my space using JeepForum

jeepingforlife 05-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepingJustin
If you pull your rear drive shaft out an run in 4x4, you'll in turn be like a front wheel drive car. Just using front axle to move you. Is the vibrations always there, or at a certain speed? Lifted?

Sent from my space using JeepForum

Yes I have a 4" suspension and brand new 315's on it. The vibration is only when accelerating. Once I take my foot off the gas it is fine. And I'm positive the vibration is coming from the back.

mrmalmo82 05-26-2013 04:35 PM

Sounds like u-joints...

jeepingforlife 05-26-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmalmo82
Sounds like u-joints...

How much would that cost to get fixed?

The time now is 10:13 AM.