Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gear ratio

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pillswoj 
#1 ·
I have a 98 TJ with stock gearing. I currently have about 3.5-4 inches of lift with 33x12.5 tires. Ive been told its recommended to change the gearing. I don't know much about this topic and don't want to waste money buying the wrong item. Please help me out all advice is appreciated.

#6 ·
You need to provide more information

Do you have an Auto or a 5 speed?

There are 2 common "Stock Gearings" 3.07 and 3.73 which do you have?

What are you trying to accomplish with the regear, being "told" you need it is fine but why do you think you need it.

Common recommendations would be 4.10's if you have the 3 sp auto and 4.10 or 4.56 (preferred) if you have the 5 spd

#7 ·
I have a 98 TJ sport. It is a 5 speed manual with a 4.0L and im not sure what its geared at. id assume stock since i have never changed it if "stock" can be the correct term as i am not sure if they have different gear ratios for different wrangler models.

#8 ·
If it originally came with the 28" tires and a D35 axle it is most likely the 3.07 Gears.

4.10 would match RPMs with 33" Tires but do to the extra weight and wind resistance of a lifted Jeep most will go 4.56 to get it up into the power band on the highway and give a better crawl in 4lo.

That is what I will be doing if the true trac limited slip I have on order ever shows up (8 weeks so far)

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.