Gas in the oil pan - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Gas in the oil pan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I really doubt it would be connected to fuel quality and not be first evidenced by the engine running like dogcrap.
The 4.0 is a fairly simple engineas far as fuel. It comes from the tank in one line pushed by fuel pump in the tank. Goes to a distribution rail with injectors on it and then any over the required goes back to the tank via the regulator bypass. two vacum lines interface with the fuell system, the pressure regulator and the charcoal canister regenerate line.

So unless you have some mods somewhere you aren't talking about in order to put a quart of gas into the crankcase you have at least one cylinder not firing at all with bad rings and the injector just douching down the thing. That much coming through any vacum port would flood out all the cylinders and it wouldn't run at all.

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
xjgary
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Both of these Jeep are completely stock, no modifications what so ever , no indication of a "dead cylinder" in fact they both run especially well, very smooth, not a hint of a misfire and very strong with no loss of power. Neither Jeep has ever used oil or had oil smoke coming from the exhaust. The compression test indicates to me that the cylinders are fine, ( low of 135lbs to high of 145 ) If I can't solve this problem I will be forced to send them down the road
xjgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Man I am still leaning towards practical joker. Trace the entire fuel line circuit. See if you can find any hose anywhere that smell like gas but shouldn't.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjgary View Post
I haven't made any changes to vacuum sources other than isolating the charcoal emission canister to see if fuel was entering the intake in this matter but to no avail so reattached vacuum to this port. As mentioned earlier, all fuel injectors where replaced in the 1992 which was the first to exhibit this problem. I haven't attempted any repairs on the 2001 seeing I have invested so much time and expense with the first with no successes and am on a tight budget. I am dreading throwing parts at the 2001 until I can figure out what is up with the 92. I have changed the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, is the fuel pump regulator a different part? If so, where is it located? I will see if I can locate a fuel pressure gauge and measure the pressure at the rail. Do you think it could be bad fuel coming from the local gas station? We only have one and the next nearest is 25 miles away. Could it be the Engine Computer?

Thanks for your input
I meant fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, Sorry about that mistake on my part. Knowing what your fuel pressure is and does is important, if only to eliminate excess fuel pressure as a problem.

This one is strange.

So you start out with a fresh oil/filter change but end up with a quart of gas in your base pan after a 40 mile ride give or take a few miles. Now both cars are doing this? The only common items would be the fuel supply or you really pissed off somebody...but how can they dump gas into your base pan while you are driving after a fresh oil change......?????

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
xjgary
2001 XJ Cherokee 

As a side note I found another Jeep owner with the same problem at this Cherokee forum http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gas-oil-36065/ Makes me feel a little less crazy I have a suspicion this might be a more common issue that goes undiscovered until the engine spins a bearing or dies for some mysterious reason.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjgary View Post
As a side note I found another Jeep owner with the same problem at this Cherokee forum http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gas-oil-36065/ Makes me feel a little less crazy I have a suspicion this might be a more common issue that goes undiscovered until the engine spins a bearing or dies for some mysterious reason.
I wonder if it has something to do with how much fuel is in your fuel tank? Is it possible for excess fuel to get drawn into your vacuum canister then that fuel gets sucked into the engine?

If not then the only way fuel can get into the base, if you can eliminate tampering, is through the injectors. The ECM provides ground to close the circuit to pulse the injectors. I wonder if the pulse rate is being increased? That gives you the extra fuel but doesn't necessarily mess with performance.

If you have an exhaust leak anywhere before the O2 sensor that would cause the O2 sensor to send a false lean code to the ECM and increase the time the injectors pulse, dumping unneeded extra fuel into the cylinders.

I do not remember but what condition are your injectors? Maybe their internals are gummed up or just tired and can't close completely.

Make sure you are running the correct spark plug gapped properly. It has often been reported that the high tech spark plugs often do not work well in these engines. Autolite or Champion plugs seem to perform just fine.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
xjgary
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The injectors are new as are the sparkplugs Champions gapped at .035
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
overthehump
1993 ZJ 

You're not alone. I have a 1993 Jeep zj 5.2l and I'm having the same problem that you describe. I've replaced injectors, checked the fuel pressure regulator, replaced my ECM (old ECM was causing a weird idle), and now I'm testing my return line (have it disconnected from throttle body & plugged). I'll check tomorrow to see if I'm still getting gas in the oil. I rebuilt the 5.2l two years ago and have had more troubles in the past 10,000 miles than I did the previous 210,000 miles. It's been a great ride but the troubles are beginning to wear on me.
overthehump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
xjgary
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Still haven't figured this one out. I have parked both Jeeps and now drive a Jimmy. I DO miss my Jeeps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.