Gas mpg situation. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Gas mpg situation.

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Pragmaticdoc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Gas mpg situation.

i own an 87yj 258 2bbl 5speed. it geta ten miles to the gallon. doesnt matter if i baby it or drive like a teenager. i used to own a 79 CJ7 258 clifford intake holley 4bbl 4 speed. if i kept my foot out of it got almost 18 miles per gallon. What gives? It has had a complete tune up and always run mid-grade fuel. Is it as simple as i bought the cj off a certified mechanic and the yj from a redneck?

Unread 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Doc: It could be any number of possibilities. Fill out your profile so folks have a better idea about the mods your jeep has and let us know what you have done to try and trouble shoot your problem.

Does your speedometer indicate speed correctly? Do you have a fuel leak? Is your carb adjusted properly? Do you have a vacuum leak?

I would also suggest trying in the YJ tech section.
SquidsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Pragmaticdoc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I cant fill out my profile yet not enough posts. 87 YJ 258 5speed weber 2 barrel 2 inch body lift. 33x12.5 super swampers. Engine rebuilt 25000 miles ago. Broke in properly. Carb was rebuilt for a second time by Weber. Still runs like she has a V8 under the hood but still only gets 10 mpg. Gears tranny etc all stock.

forumrunner_20120528_130109.jpg
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You've got a nice looking jeep!

Does your speedometer indicate your correct speed? This seems kind of simple, but if your speedometer is off so will your mileage for your MPG calculations. Usually the faster you go the more your speed will be off.

Have you tried to adjust your weber? It could just be set too rich or the choke might need to be adjusted.

I know in a jeep, especially topless and doorless, you would have smelled it, but have you physically checked for a fuel leak?

Another thought. When the engine was rebuilt, was it de-stroked, did it get a more aggressive cam, or anything like that?

I still think you should consider posting this up over in the YJ section, there more of the yj guys will see it and someone might have a better solution. You could try posting just a link to this thread. I'm not strong with carbs, so I could be missing something obvious to a carb guy.

Last edited by SquidsYJ; 05-29-2012 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: After thought
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Pragmaticdoc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the speedometer is off but have figured that into the algebra, Its not running rich or to thin. The Weber guy fiddled with it for quite a while. It was rebuilt to complete stock specs. Brand new block. not a refurbished one. Stock cam...other than the Weber and accel coil which is not any better than the stock one. Stock ignition other than that. I will try to figure out how to do the whole post another topic with a link to this one.
Pragmaticdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This link is a thread in the YJ section. The third post has a couple links that might help.
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Pragmaticdoc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link. Thanks for the help.
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
RookieJeeper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

In my 87 YJ with 4:56 gears, AX15 5 speed, 34s and 258 nuttered with a weber I always got 10 no matter what. A while back I threw on a 4.0 head and MPI and now I always get 13 with alot more power and easier start ups. I also have removed the 2 piece axle and hubs up front. Replaced with TJ axles that are always spinning which is supposed to cost me a little gas mileage.

I think I could get 14 out of it, but have not had any decent road trips and drive in traffic alot when I daily drive it to work.
RookieJeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.