G2 dana 44 rear axle assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > G2 dana 44 rear axle assembly

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
FFjeepguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

G2 dana 44 rear axle assembly

right now i am running 33's on a stock dana 35 and from the horror stories i have been reading about this axle i kinda want to start planning to put a new rear end in. whats everyones opinion on the g2 dana 44 rear axle assembly. i kno its more expensive than what i could get at ECGS with the 8.8 axle. im just lookin around at multiple options. i wanna run 4.56 or 4.88 gears and eventually run 35's. thanks everyone!

FFjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm actually looking at getting G2 D44 front and rear axles with 4.10s' and ARB lockers for both (will be running 33's soon). I figured this is the easiest way to go. Not that I can't rebuild my own (Currently have D44 rear with limited slip and D35 front open), but it would be easier to just swap the entire product. Since it's all set up with the gearing I want, lockers, and chromoly shafts. I can also keep the old assemblies in case something breaks until I have time to fix it.

Anyone have thoughts on this? G2's any good?

My Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/majestic-eagle-1434780/
ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
DaemonForce

I use my Eagle and the Grand Wagoneer to compare what should work because just about everything else is the same. I'm running stock 28's on a Model 35 and Dana 30. I have an insane 2.73 gear ratio and rather than just go to lower gears I'd rather swap in some Dana 44 axles with 3.08 gears. For either of us it would be an expensive and time consuming swap. I probably face worse challenges with this than you will but you're the one that needs this. I don't run 33's but paranoia eats me alive. What kind of donors do you use? Comanche and Wagoneer?
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Donors? I wasn't gonna use any. The G2 axles are complete kits. The front D44 (to replace my D35) has ball joints to fit the existing knuckles. The rear assembly (also a D44) will replace my existing D44. It has a disc brake conversion kit included. Both assemblies are geared to choice (4.10's I was thinking), and ARB air lockers, and chromoly shafts.

Another main reason I was thinking this route is my TJ is my DD, so instead of taking the time to rebuild mine I was just gonna swap them out and keep the old ones for spares.

My Build:
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
DaemonForce

Oh are these complete assemblies? That sounds nice. I should probably look into this. I'll need to get new axles somewhere before the end of the year and your way is probably much better than what I have in mind.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah they are complete assemblies. Anyone have experience with them?

My Build:
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
The front D44 (to replace my D35)
Your front is a d30 FYI. Unless you are driving an Explorer that is.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I own a "Jeep only" 4x4 shop that specializes in drivetrain work.

Just this past month we've installed an ECGS 8.8 in an '05 TJ, and a G2 Dana 44 into a '04 TJ.

Hands down, the 8.8 is superior in every way, and the ECGS kit was a MUCH better value & more complete.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I own a "Jeep only" 4x4 shop that specializes in drivetrain work.

Just this past month we've installed an ECGS 8.8 in an '05 TJ, and a G2 Dana 44 into a '04 TJ.

Hands down, the 8.8 is superior in every way, and the ECGS kit was a MUCH better value & more complete.

Max
What is so superior about the 8.8 compared to the G2, what makes it more complete?

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post

What is so superior about the 8.8 compared to the G2, what makes it more complete?

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Glad you asked!

The ECGS axle had much beefier upper & lower control arm mounts, and beefier track bar & shock mounts too. The axle tubes were welded to the differential housing on the 8.8, but not on the G2 Dana 44 axle. The brake lines on the 8.8 were well made lines, while the D44 lines looked hastily prepared.

As for value, the 8.8 came with an air-operated OX locker (selectable) and the D44 had a Detroit auto locker. The 8.8 came with a custom made 2-piece CV driveshaft, 8.8 companion flange adapter, and an Advanced Adapters SYE kit. The G2 D44 had no additional parts & an incomplete hardware kit. The two kits cost almost the same.

Considering that the 8.8 is significantly stronger/heavier/beefier than the D44, in my opinion there's no question about which one to choose.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Your front is a d30 FYI. Unless you are driving an Explorer that is.
Yeah, type-O thanks for noticing :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Glad you asked!

The ECGS axle had much beefier upper & lower control arm mounts, and beefier track bar & shock mounts too. The axle tubes were welded to the differential housing on the 8.8, but not on the G2 Dana 44 axle. The brake lines on the 8.8 were well made lines, while the D44 lines looked hastily prepared.

As for value, the 8.8 came with an air-operated OX locker (selectable) and the D44 had a Detroit auto locker. The 8.8 came with a custom made 2-piece CV driveshaft, 8.8 companion flange adapter, and an Advanced Adapters SYE kit. The G2 D44 had no additional parts & an incomplete hardware kit. The two kits cost almost the same.

Considering that the 8.8 is significantly stronger/heavier/beefier than the D44, in my opinion there's no question about which one to choose.

Max
The reason I was going down the D44 route from G2 is it is a simple bolt in replacement that will give me front and rear ARB air lockers, regear, and rear disc brakes. The 8.8 route may be better, but my TJ won't see hard enough trails to justify the extra effort. But I appreciate the input!

My Build:
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The reason I was going down the D44 route from G2 is it is a simple bolt in replacement that will give me front and rear ARB air lockers, regear, and rear disc brakes. The 8.8 route may be better, but my TJ won't see hard enough trails to justify the extra effort. But I appreciate the input!
The 8.8 is available with any locker you choose, as well as your choice of gear ratio. The 8.8 also has disc brakes (the G2 Dana 44 uses Ford 8.8 brakes) and it is completely a bolt-in swap.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
ChadH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it doesn't require any modification at all?

My Build:
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it doesn't require any modification at all?
The East Coast Gear Supply 8.8 axle was an easier swap than the G2 Dana 44. Both axles were "bolt-in" upgrades.

Both axles had been prepared for installation into a TJ by their suppliers, and were delivered by a freight company.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I let it slide the first time. Then you said it again so I wanted to make sure you knew. lol
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.