Fuel system cleaners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel system cleaners

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
chicagohusker

Have any of you used those engine cleaners that you pour into the gas tank(not sure of the official name) and is supposed to clean the system and improve mpg? I saw a few on amazon for cheap and not sure if it'll help, or if it'll even ruin my engine. If you used, which one would you recommend?
I have a 05 Cherokee with 72k miles, and my mpg is about 13 city and 15 highway, was thinking of using a cleaner and see if it'll help improve my mpg.

Last edited by chicagohusker; 04-26-2012 at 04:44 PM..
chicagohusker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Ricke92cj

I've used blaster fuel injector cleaner for awhile now. It does improve gas mileage back closer to factory, but mainly gives you more power that the dirty injectors have robbed you of.
Ricke92cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Nothing like BG 44K. Period.....
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
chicagohusker

I looked that bg one up, looks easy enough to use. All you have to do is pour it in when tank is empty, then refill tank and drive around and it cleans itself?
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

There are plenty of decent additives out there but I will mention 3. BG-44k, Seafoam, Lucas. I wouldnt waste money on the cheaper products either. Read the directions on what you choose but most of these products are used at fill up or work best with at least 10 gallons of fuel or so. Dont expect any chemical to be a miracle cure though, if a problem is suspected it may actually need a real flush or at least multiple treatments.

What I like about Seafoam is the multiple uses the product has. You can use it to clean the fuel system, run it through the intake/ throttle body to clean the intake and valves, run it through the crankcase along with other uses. Seafoam will also stabilize fuel for up to 2 years for storage just like sta-bil, it will also take moisture/water out of the fuel system just like HEET. Do a search on here about Seafoam, plenty of people here have used it with good results.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagohusker View Post
I looked that bg one up, looks easy enough to use. All you have to do is pour it in when tank is empty, then refill tank and drive around and it cleans itself?
Pretty much it. It isn't cheap but it is very effective at cleaning injectors and carbon deposits from the back of intake valves and the combusion chambers.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
chicagohusker

Went the seafoam route, poured a bottle of it into my gas tank, drove from lincoln Nebraska to Chicago and was getting 20mpg+ for most of the trip, that made me a believer that that stuff works.
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The best engine cleaner is sea foam brand, it's the real deal.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.