Fuel Pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel Pump?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Fuel Pump?

I do not hear the fuel pump coming on when I turn the ignition. For some reason I cannot get the engine code using the key on/off technique.

Do I have to drop the fuel tank to test the fuel pump? If so, how do I use an meter to test it? I have a meter,but I'm not exactly sure how to use it in this instance.

Please help, thanks!

Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The key on-off process does not work for your jeep since you most likely do not have OBDII. As for the pump you should start by checking the fuse. If it is good, find the relay and swap it with an identical one, that will rule that out. After that you need to see if there is power to the pump. I don't know the wire colors and a diagram would be most helpful to you.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep
The key on-off process does not work for your jeep since you most likely do not have OBDII. As for the pump you should start by checking the fuse. If it is good, find the relay and swap it with an identical one, that will rule that out. After that you need to see if there is power to the pump. I don't know the wire colors and a diagram would be most helpful to you.
To check for power to the pump, how can I get to the connector since it is probably on top of the tank? I guess I might have to drop it?

Sorry for so many questions
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe not. If you know the wire colors you may find a connector somewhere towards the rear to test at. This is where a wiring diagram is handy.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
TURNIPHEAD

i recently changed my fuel pump in the tank ( mind you it was a toyota pu) but the principles are the same . you can activate the pump by getting a small 12v battery and tapping into the fuel pump wires with the vehicle off, Or you can uese a hot tester and locate which wires get hot once the engine cranks over . hot i mean by recieves 12 v + there is normally a circut opening relay that is activated once ign on is activated by the key right before you actually crank over the engine. I highly suggest having a wiring diagram any time you do any electrical work . avoid the haynes manuals or chilton its a waste try to find a oem manual or diagram ,
TURNIPHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNIPHEAD View Post
i recently changed my fuel pump in the tank ( mind you it was a toyota pu) but the principles are the same . you can activate the pump by getting a small 12v battery and tapping into the fuel pump wires with the vehicle off, Or you can uese a hot tester and locate which wires get hot once the engine cranks over . hot i mean by recieves 12 v + there is normally a circut opening relay that is activated once ign on is activated by the key right before you actually crank over the engine. I highly suggest having a wiring diagram any time you do any electrical work . avoid the haynes manuals or chilton its a waste try to find a oem manual or diagram ,
Thanks for the info! I think I am going to tackle the project this weekend. I'm going to drop the tank and start there.
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Well, I can't believe it, but it was a 30amp engine control fuse!

I could not see the break in the fuse, but my nephew has better eyes!!

I'm so glad that I didn't drop the tank! Maybe this will help someone else.

Have someone with "good" eyes check all your fuses lol!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.