Fuel Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel Problems?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Hiveranno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Problems?

So I bought a 1990 Wrangler today with a 2.5 4cyl. Its my forth Jeep and the guy wanted my 93 Chev Suburban for a plow truck so we dip a swap. Anyways, drove it 35 miles with no issues. Then it started spitting and sputtering and stalled out. It had to sit for about 15mins before it would start again. I drove it a couple blocks then same issue. Then I let it sit for an hour or two and drove it another 45 miles until it starting doing the same. Its now sitting on the side of the road at 945pm and wont start.

Would it be the Fuel Filter or Fuel Pump if it still will drive after sitting for a period of time? It acts like its starving for gas.. I fueled it right after I picked it up and im wondering how long it sat and if I churned up some junk in the tank.. but it still went those miles so im stumped...

Does the 90 have an Evap can? Where is the filter located? The fuel pump in the tank? Any suggestions what to try?

Hiveranno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Hiveranno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also

There seems to be a lot of pressure in the gas tank when I remove the gas cap theres a big burst of air.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
andyabbot

First of all you have to figure out what is the cause of pressure in the tank? Fuel pump or any other thing and you have to check the fuel pump and pipes.
Get details about repair and maintenance | car repairs brisbane

Last edited by andyabbot; 08-29-2013 at 12:23 AM..
andyabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
GilbertF

Check the fuel regulator... At the end of your fuel rail towards the fire wall. It is the round thing with a vacuum line going to it. Pull the vacuum line off. If it has fuel there and is wet in any way it is bad.

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump come on? If not check your relays under the hood.
GilbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Hiveranno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks will check it and post either way
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pressure in the tank? it should only have a little poof when you open it at most. Did you try running it with the cap off? Maybe you have a return or vent line plugged and it is making it run over pressure at the injector, flooding it.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Hiveranno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well it was an accumulation of plugged vent line, dirty injector, fried ICM and a junk O2 sensor... Each change made it run longer and after a good oil change, she purrs like a kitten.. I think the gas lines are heating up too but she got some love either way.. Happy jeep..
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Hiveranno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's starting again

Having issues with my 1990 jeep wrangler with 2.5L in it. Drives down the road fine until sporadically it will die. I can jump or key start it and it will go a mile then die again. Once it starts this, it will run bad. Spit n sputter and a backfire cough occasionally. It seems to only run on a couple cylinders and gets worse when I give it gas.. Things I've done is change fuel filter, ignition control module, o2 sensor.

Plugs are tan and seems to be good. Ran cleaner and spray cleaned injector.. It looks like it's been warm but mechanic didn't think it was an issue. Used to have pressure in gas tank when I removed the cap. Cleaned vents and replaced cap. Sprayed distributed with wd40 looking for cracks but seemed to be ok..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.