Fuel problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel problem

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
SEZARO21
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel problem

I'm having the problem where my jeep just shut off or won't want to start. It will turn over it just won't start. I tested my fuel pressure yesterday and the fuel pressure is where it should be w/ and w/out the fuel regulator vacuum atached, 31-40 PSI and 41-49 PSI. The Haynes manual said that when I turn the jeep off the pressure should drop 0-20 PSI. That means that the pressure w/ the jeep off should be around 20-31 PSI. Well when I turn the jeep off, the pressure drops to zero. That is way below what it should be. What is wrong with the jeep. What should I replace. Please help as I need the jeep ready for it's first real offroad trip this weekend.

1991 2.5L YJ, 4" R.E. lift kit, 1-1/4" Lift shackles, K&N CAI, 4.0 TB w/ bored out intake, 5.0L Ford Mustang fuel injectors, 117A alternator, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rancho steering stabilizer, 8.8 Ford axle, 35x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, Smittybuilt Titanium side steps, Smittybilt SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper, Smittybilt Stereo Center console, PIAA 520 Series fog lights, Sylvania Silverstar headlights, 20 gallon fuel tank upgrade & Herculined tub.
SEZARO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Are you getting power and fuel to your injectors?
Are you getting spark?
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
SEZARO21
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i'M GETTING SPARK AND PRESSURE
1991 2.5L YJ, 4" R.E. lift kit, 1-1/4" Lift shackles, K&N CAI, 4.0 TB w/ bored out intake, 5.0L Ford Mustang fuel injectors, 117A alternator, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rancho steering stabilizer, 8.8 Ford axle, 35x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, Smittybuilt Titanium side steps, Smittybilt SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper, Smittybilt Stereo Center console, PIAA 520 Series fog lights, Sylvania Silverstar headlights, 20 gallon fuel tank upgrade & Herculined tub.
Unread 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
JEEPINWI

Check your distributor cap for cracks. With the lights out, have a buddy turn over the engine and look for stray sparking near the cap. My YJ did the same thing...I had fuel and spark, but engine would not start. Turned out to be a cracked cap.
Unread 10-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
SEZARO21
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the fuel pump and the jeep now holds pressure like it should but when shut off but it still stalls out. I'm going to see if the cap works. Will let you guys know. Oh. just wanted to mention that I missed my off road trip. Well maybe next time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.