Fuel pressure.. problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel pressure.. problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
martyb

Fuel pressure.. problem?

I've got an 84 CJ7 with the 258. I've also got the Mopar MPI kit. Everything was running great. All of a sudden, it feels like it's running out of gas going around corners in 3rd or 4th.. and even 2nd if I'm going slow enough. It starts jerking around. It will even stall on occasion.

All of this happens when going around corners. It will do the same thing, if I'm in too high of a gear. I checked the fuel pressure and it's at a steady ~28. I think it's supposed to be around 32 and shoot up to 40 with the vacuum disconnected. But it only goes up to ~38 with the vacuum hose off.

There's also a split second hesitation when you step on the gas from a standstill.

I think it's my fuel pump. The thing is making some weird buzzing noise. When I first put it on, it had a little whine to it, but no buzz.

Would that little (big?) difference in fuel pressure be the problem? My dad says that the pressure seems alright, like it shouldn't have that much of an affect.

I don't know.. anyone have any advice? Thanks

martyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2002, 08:01 AM   #2
lostboy

I have the same kit in mine...that pressure is exactly what I have. If your pump is making noise,it may be working too hard.Is the pickup in the tank ok? It sounds like the pump is starving for fuel.
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Definately take a look at your fuel pump!

KnightFire
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
lostboy

Saw another thread in the YJ forum about a clogged return line.This could cause a drop in pressure and/or cause the pump to work too hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.