Fuel Injection Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Fuel Injection Upgrade

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJ

Unread 12-19-2001, 09:58 PM   #1
Angry87Creep

Fuel Injection Upgrade

I have an 87 Wrangler with the 4.2l 258ci engine. I have a ProComp 4" lift, 33's, 3.53 or 3.73 gears (2 tags on the diff cover so not real certain), Powertraxx lockers and the other basic $million in "minor upgrades." You know how it goes with a Jeep.

The motor runs very well but I have had carb problems for ever, I put a Weber on it 6 months ago and has been giving me problems for about a month. The idle speeds vary depending on the day and it has a tendency kill at the most inopportune times while rock-crawling.

I am thinking about the Holley Projection Kit and by looking at some of the posts it is around $700.00, which is much cheaper than the $2k+ Mopar MPI kit. How well does it work, how accurate is the price above and where can I get one at the best price?

Angry87Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 06:36 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

i would not be so quick to get rid of the weber yet.My 87 4.2 wrangler runs great.You maybe having problems with your ECM aka computor.You may want to try the TFI upgrade and the nutter bypass.But if you live in an area with tuff emission laws than FI maybe the way for you.Let me know if you want more info on these upgrades.My jeep runs strong now.Later,Gary
Unread 01-10-2002, 04:19 AM   #3
fasterfuel

I have run all sorts of setups, both carbs and fuel injection over the years. Fuel injection is the way to go in most circumstances. The Holley system works fine, however only when it works! I spent more time remapping the computer than enjoying its benefits. I went so far as to drive cross country to HOlleys chief engineers house to have him work on it, again it worked great for a couple weeks then I had to start all over again. I have found the Turbo City Kit very reliable and it is user friendly. The Turbo City kit also controls timing making it an install and forget project. I have also installed the MOPAR kit in a friend's Jeep and he swears by it. Both systems will be a vast improvement over any carb. If you are seriously considering fuel injection consider giving Vic at Turbo City a call at 714-639-4933. He has been helpful to many people in selecting the right setup.

Good Luck!

2004 Rubicon
fasterfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
TJSahara

I installed the mopar on my '87 and I will swear by it too. Very easy going and detailed installation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.