Front Driveshaft Vibes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Front Driveshaft Vibes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Front Driveshaft Vibes

I have been trying to fix my front driveshaft vibes for a while now but I haven't been too concerned since it isn't my DD. I swapped in a junkyard D30 for the gear ratio, and immediately installed an Aussie. On the first test drive I got some pretty bad vibes. I realized that my driveshaft was visibly warped, so I got it retubed and they put in a new slip joint because the old one was loose and banged out. The vibes actually got worse so I got the shaft balanced. They said it wasn't too far out, but they got it balanced well. That helped quite a bit but I still get vibes that gradually worsen from about 50 and up. Without the front shaft everything is peachy. Any ideas on things to check? If memory serves the pinion seemed tight. I guess it could be bent?

Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

nobody?
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did the exact same thing, swapped out my d30 for the gearing, and had a front drive line vibe after the swap. All it took to solve mine was to remove the drive shaft from the axle, rotate it 180 and bolt it back in. I tried that BEFORE I took it to have it balanced. My thinking was there weren't any vibes before I pulled it, therefore nothing about the shaft could have changed other than it's orientation to the axle pinion. Hell it only takes 5 minutes, and a quick test drive to evaluate the results. If it doesn't work, go on to plan "B".

Drive shaft u-joints okay? If so...

My next thought is that the new/donor axle isn't square to the frame, resulting in the vibes. Worth checking...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I didn't really get the chance to test it before putting in the aussie. I thought that the driveshaft doesn't really spin on a YJ without a locker? I could tell that the shaft was visibly warped. Also the U Joints were the first thing I replaced to try to fix the vibes. As far as I can tell the axle is straight. I swapped it in with no problems and recently put new springs in and everything lined up fine. Also I have had the driveshaft in and out so many times I'm sure I would have gotten the orientation right at least once? great suggestions though!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.