Front differential replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Front differential replacement?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Twalli

Front differential replacement?

Im trying to help a friend sell his 1999 jeep wrangler and it is pushing grease out the front axle vent. There is play in and out of the front drive shaft and I am assuming that the pinon bearing is gone and water has gotten in the drive shaft. I'm not sure how long that it's been in there and I am wondering what we should do. Should I look for a used front diff or just change the bearing? I'm new to jeeps...

Twalli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This is really dependent on what shape the gears are in and what ratio they are.

I would pull the diff cover and drain the contaminated oil out.

At that point you can assess if the gears are still OK. If they are you have the option to change the pinion bearing and seal.

If they are shot, your best bet is probably swapping the entire axle.

Depending on tour gear ratio you may be able to find another axle from a xj which would be easier to find used.

Sent from my phone where correct grammar is difficult.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.