Freezing, need heat, help! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Freezing, need heat, help!

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #31
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
the other doors must work. going through the modes on the switch(defrost, floor, etc) all work just fine.
Then if the modes work fine and the blend door isn't broken it either has to be the heater core or the thermostat. See my previous post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #32
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So you suggest its a possible bad thermostat or heater core? I was under the assumption that if my thermostat was faulty, coolant would not flow to the heater core at all. Being that my hoses are hot, i am confused.
2tall2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #33
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

How hot is hot? Can you hold onto them for any amount of time without being seriously uncomfortable?

To be honest, I recently went through the same thing and thought my hoses were hot too. However, I also noticed that my guage was running a little cooler than it normally was as well. I swapped the thermostat and now it is seriously hot. I cannot hold onto it at all when it reaches operating temp.

My thermostat was faulty and not opening at the right temp. - that was my problem but a partially clogged heater core can cause issues like this as well. I knew that wasn't my problem because I had recently replaced mine.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #34
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
So you suggest its a possible bad thermostat or heater core? I was under the assumption that if my thermostat was faulty, coolant would not flow to the heater core at all. Being that my hoses are hot, i am confused.
If the air coming out of the vents at low fan speed isn't close in temp to the coolest hose connected to the core then your blend door is wonky.
The relative temps of the coolant going into the the core and whether your thermostat is faulty are a completely different story.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #35
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I grabbed onto hoses and after a few seconds i had to let go, they were that hot. After work today i plan on replacing thermostat. Its pretty cheap and it cant hurt, maybe i will get lucky. It sure is cold outside. Tired of driving bundled up sitting on my hands.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #36
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think you are wasting time and money with the thermostat.
A bad one would either be stuck closed keeping the flow from the radiator and making the engine overheat or stuck open making the engine take longer to come up to heat.
If the hoses are too hot to hold on to then you have enough heat present to heat the cab. You can confirm by running with a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, that will up the heat without spilling antifreeze all over.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #37
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think you are right. Going to backflush the core 1st. That wont cost me much time or money. Maybe theres some gunk needs out. I noticed a slight build up yesterday under my cap.
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #38
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got it!
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #39
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I chose to flush the heater core myself before spending anymore time and money. It was a lot easier than I expected. Out came a dark sludge and finally clear water. I reattached hoses and fired up my jeep with heater on wide open. I was so cold that I couldn't tell if it was warm or not, so my wonderful wife relieved me when she said yes, it was blowing hot air! I need to thank brouwmat, vadslram, and everyone in between. Couldn't/wouldn't have attempted the task without all the insight. Thanks for the confidence build guys, I feel like a champion.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #40
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Congrats!

Unread 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #41
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After successfully flushing my heater core, and heat coming out now, I have had a new problem. My windshield is fogging for no reason, and I am smelling this sweet smell inside of my cab. It was suggested to me t hat my heater core actually needs replaced now? Say it aint so..
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #42
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry but I think that stuff that was clogging your core was also plugging a leak. It isn't that bad to replace and not too expensive either. Then you can make sure the blend door is working right and all the weather stripping is in good shape.
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #43
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Yep. That is your heater core. Wjjeeps.com is your new friend. Plan on at least 8-10 hours to do it. It isn't bad, just a lot of work. Anyone can do it if you are proficient with tools.

Unread 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #44
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.