found a star bolt in transmission pan om the magnet. 5.9 jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > found a star bolt in transmission pan om the magnet. 5.9 jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

found a star bolt in transmission pan om the magnet. 5.9 jeep

I found a 1/2 inch long pretty skinny star head bolt in my transmission pan attached to the magnet while doing a trans filter change. I checked to see if it went anywhere I could see on the bottom of the transmission. I couldn't find any missing screws. The transmission has never had the pan dropped as far as I could tell or filter changed. It has 110,000 miles. Has anyone else ever found a screw in the bottom of the oil pan? Every thing seams to be working fine but I have never seen a bolt back out in a transmission. I did notice some small metal shavings in there too. Mostly feel like grains of sand connected to the magnet. A long with a few slivers that are really thin. Not sure if I should be alarmed.? I did see a lot of the exact same screws in the bottom of the transmission but no missing screw holes were found. Thanks for any replies, Aaron

Alotaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow. Never found a bolt in a Tranny pan. But the sandy textured metal sounds normal. I gave found slivers before but like maybe 2 or 3 tops.
I would take it to a Tranny shop (not aamaco). Show them the bolt.
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
mmerlinn

Never found any bolts loose in a pan before, but I did find a screwdriver once.

There are no star head bolts in any Jeep transmission except for the center support bolt in the TH400 Jeep. And that bolt is an inch long with 3/8" star head although the head is actually called a 12-point (double hex) head.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Over the years I have found maybe 5 or 6 "foreign objects" in trans and engine pans. All but one I chalked up to dropped into the pan somewhere during the assembly line. The one time I did attribute it to a failure was from a connecting rod bolt that came loose (rod end failure).

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
Never found any bolts loose in a pan before, but I did find a screwdriver once.

There are no star head bolts in any Jeep transmission except for the center support bolt in the TH400 Jeep. And that bolt is an inch long with 3/8" star head although the head is actually called a 12-point (double hex) head.
It's a star or hex or Allen head. Which ever those little bolts are that hold together the valve body. Finally got my jeep off the Jack stands with the full exhaust and all the fluids changed. Seems to still be shifting good and its not making any bad noises. Could have been dropped in there in the assembly process. Thanks for the replies. Aaron.
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
mmerlinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alotaglock View Post
It's a star or hex or Allen head. Which ever those little bolts are that hold together the valve body. Finally got my jeep off the Jack stands with the full exhaust and all the fluids changed. Seems to still be shifting good and its not making any bad noises. Could have been dropped in there in the assembly process. Thanks for the replies. Aaron.
In my world those are not bolts. They are screws. The difference being if they have a male head they are bolts and if a female head they are screws, so they are screws to me. Yes, I know different areas call things different names, so maybe somewhere your terminology is correct, but in the last 6 decades I have never encountered such terminology. Hex head bolts. Torx head bolts. Torx head screws. Allen head screws. Phillips head screws. Frearson head screws. And so on.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Good point! In my world, screws come to a point and bolts come to a flat head.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.