Ford 9 inch 28 spline ring and pinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 9 inch 28 spline ring and pinion

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
bigal123

Ford 9 inch 28 spline ring and pinion

I have a problem in locating a Ford 9 inch 28 spline gearset. Here is the problem, 1970 I built a FED. using Ford OEM rear and a 1963 chrysler 727 tranny. A coupler was made using a Ford yoke and a governor support, machining them so a steel sleeve went over each and welded. last year I finally busted the rear and case. Got all new parts and a motive 4.56 ring and pinion. That's when my problems started. Never checked the pinion splines and made 10 runs and wiped out the rear pump. Took me 6 months and even made a new coupler. When that dial indicated .015 runout when on the pinion, I thought that the new gears was the problem. Sure enough it was. So the company took the gears back. I found out all new splines are straight cut, have a tolerance on the major diameter of spline of 1.203 to 1.208 and are cut .003 deeper on the root giving a spline backlash of .004 inches. The OEM ford is 1.210 inches, a helix cut spline, wider teeth and involute cut and no backlash. I thought Richmond was American made. Yes, but they machine the same as overseas market and in fact Stewart Hamilton of Richmond said all, gears made today are machined this way. The problem is when the coupler goes on the splines it slides on where the OEM splines it's a palm press fit then the nut is tightened and it is then an interference fit. Also the coupler will not even shake off, but the new splines the coupler starts sliding off when at a 45 degree angle. So I am SOL unless I can find a real OEM gearset for the slingshot. I would settle for a used one if it was 4.11 or higher up to a 4.56 and pushing it a 4.86. Would any of you know of any places that might have such a gear set?
Please get back to me asap as I am still searching and some NOS dealers still can't find what I need. A lot of their gears they have , believe it or not, have 29 splines and are Ford OEM parts like Ford part number c7tz 4209-c. I listened as the man counted the splines, twice, over the phone that he was counting right. Most are trucks and the parts are made for military that are still new but could be in india at an army wharehouse. Please if you can help me let me know.

bigal123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Toms Bronco Parts in Medford Or. www.tomsbroncoparts.com/
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.