Ford 8.8 weird sound/Gear Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 8.8 weird sound/Gear Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
JSR789
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 weird sound/Gear Problem

Just installed a Ford 8.8 that I bought bolt in ready and I'm getting a whine/rubbing sound coming from the rear. I popped off the diff cover and found that 2 teeth on the Ring gear wear ground down I'm guessing for clearance for the cross pin. I was told this is not a problem. Could this be the cause of the sound I'm hearing? I asked a local 4x4 shop and showed them a picture of the gear and they said I should be worried riding the truck as is. What do you all think?

imag0135.jpg  
JSR789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When putting 4.56 or 4.88 gears in a 8.8 you have to either notch the ring gear teeth or the cross pin. Notching the teeth is what most folks do.

I don't remember how far across the top of the tooth I cut when I did mine but I don't think it went as far as yours. I don't remember the notch extending as far into the contact area as yours does.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.