Ford 8.8, Dana 44, or Super 35 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 8.8, Dana 44, or Super 35

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #16
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
I was going to install a c-clip eliminator kit in my 8.8, but I had a couple different gear reps advise against it.

They told me installing a c-clip eliminator kit will usually cause oil leaks around the bearing and flange area. And both of these guys are pretty knowledgable. One was a guy from Reider Racing who I've always dealt with. And just to make sure he wasn't giving me a load of crap, I also verified this with someone at Randy's R&P.

So its not from personal experience, but I definitely trust the opinions of the guys who gave me this advice.
definetly worth knowing, I googled for about 4 hours, and only came up with a whole bunch of drag racing applications, and some road coarse guys, few mentioned that the old applications use to leak, but non of the newer applications seemed to be a problem.

I even tried searching for off road applications and only came up with people wanting to sell them.

I hope some one reading this can offer real world usage in the off road / rock crawling arena and confirm that there is still an issue with leakage from flexing to much.

All though with all the searching I did find that most of them said that you would have to first break the 31 spline shaft before the C-clip would even become an issue and most of these guys commenting on them were all running the C-clip elimin's on 10.99 sec or faster cars per NHRA rules.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
00Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ
I do the 8.8 or the dana 44. look to M.O.R.E. for all the brackets and such you will need, they sell kits with all the parts you will need to do the swap
Who is M.O.R.E. ? Couldn't find them on Goggle. Phil
00Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vert
Who is M.O.R.E. ? Couldn't find them on Goggle. Phil
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #19
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone broken an 8.8 shaft? If so, what tires/gears/motor were you running and what were you doing to it at the time?

If one did break an 8.8 shaft, other than having to remove the diff cover to remove the c-clip & shaft chunks, how would the c-clip cause a problem or is it just that it would allow the rest of the shaft (and tire) to slip out?

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
mctonyb

I'm sure it has happenend, but I don't know anybody that has broken an 8.8 shaft.

I was in the same boat as you were.. I did the 8.8 myself and it was dirt cheap and is a super strong axle.
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #21
GSXMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP
Has anyone broken an 8.8 shaft? If so, what tires/gears/motor were you running and what were you doing to it at the time?

If one did break an 8.8 shaft, other than having to remove the diff cover to remove the c-clip & shaft chunks, how would the c-clip cause a problem or is it just that it would allow the rest of the shaft (and tire) to slip out?
If you upgrade to a disc brake 8.8, it would be much less likely for the axle to be able to walk out of the housing. Kind of similar to the secondary hood latch.

Don't forget......the 8.8 with 31 spline has an axle that is the same size as a Dana 60. That's pretty beefy!! If you need extra insurance, get some Moser axles(or other) and call it good!!

Spend the extra $160 on a TA Performance rear end girdle. That will help ensure that the guts stay put. Just my opinion, of course.

*PM or email if you need an 8.8 with 4.10 gears - open or Trac-Loc*
GSXMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #22
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it shoube stated that if you do break a shaft, the disc brakes will only hold well enough to limp off the trail on. DO NOT try and drive on the road at speed with just the calipers to hold the broken shaft in!!!

however, i have never seen anyone break, nor do i know one who has broken an 8.8 shaft. I wheel my YJ hard and my 8.8 lives just fine and dandy with an ARB and 35s on steel beadlocks
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.