Ford 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 8.8

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
MrKeebler26
1994 ZJ 

Ford 8.8

Hey, I am looking at swapping out my failing Dana 35 for a Ford 8.8. I know very little about doing so...
Any thoughts?
What is a good price to pay?
How about posi/ lunchbox lockers?
I have 3.55 gears in front right now. So...

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
MrKeebler26
1994 ZJ 

image-1432933646.jpg

Dresser Memorial weekend is coming and I am in need of a new rear diff if I am going to make it...
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Look up the swap here, there are a few write ups, also try google too. There are more write ups about 8.8's in TJ's but its about the same work.

I am in the process of swapping my d35 to an 8.8. Iron Rock Offroad has the best kit to do this and the instructions are pretty clear too. Keep in mind this is not a simply and quick swap but it can be if you have some welding and fab skills. Your axle ratio is pretty common on the explorers, you probably want to find one out of an 95-01 explorer. A lot of them are equipped with a factory clutch type posi, but if you plan on using a lunch box locker then you probably want an open diff unit.

You will need to cut all the factory brackets off the 8.8, IRO kit comes with new brackets to weld on and the instructions will tell you where to place them. You will need the tail end of the driveshaft for the yoke to bolt onto the 8.8, and a conversion u-joint. You can get a driveshaft yoke from a ranger or car too, it uses the same size u-joint as you jeep, the explorer uses a bigger u-joint. The ZJ park brake cables will hook right up the explorer parking brake levers. There are a few other quirks but nothing serious.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Iron rock makes a great bracket kit, also artic makes the easiest swap kit. Never the less read up on it and take a look at Stues website

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
cycleguy04

I have put a lot of effort looking into this for my TJ. An axel will run you about 200 bucks. I don't think you will be able to find an 8.8 with 3.55 gears, so you will most likely have to regear either the front, if you have larger tires than stock, to match either the 3.73 or 4.10 stock gearing in the 8.8, or regear the 8.8 to match the 3.55 if you still run stock diameter tires.

If you want a headache free regear, than you will need the proper tools, case spreader and bearing pullers being at the top of that list.

Of course you will need a welder to weld on the previously mentioned bracket kit.

Everything else I think was covered by the other posts.

An axle swap is probably the most labor instensive job a DIY mechanic can do, but hey, if it's not gonna stop me, than it shouldn't stop you.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

East Coast Gear Supply sells bolt-in units. Check them out.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
cycleguy04

^$$$

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ, working on a 8.8 swap currently. Upullandpay charged me 125 bucks for the axle.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=235261
Info about the 8.8s

http://www.artecindustries.com/ZJ-88...-98_p_280.html
Truss for a bolt in ish approach.

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

what a failng Dana 35 say it aint' so.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
MrKeebler26
1994 ZJ 

I have the 8.8 in. IRO did a bang up job welding the ZJ mounting kit on it. I did have to replace the entire rear brake lines and all. Now the break pedal is rock solid and it hardly stops. I have bled the lines (all 4) twice now. No air bubbles coming through but it is still rock hard at the pedal. Any thoughts on what I need to do?

image-905797908.jpg
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Hard pedal and doesnt want to stop. How does the pedal feel after pumping it a few times with the engine off vs hitting the pedal with the engine running? It kinda of sounds like a booster problem if the pedal is hard.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
skyjackedjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did your grand come with rear drums on it or disk brakes? If it came with drums you need a proportioning valve in line. Tjs can get away with not using one but I do not know if Grands that came with drums can get away with it since the pressure in the brake master cylinder, and the piston travel in the brake master cylinder might be different. Of course that just came to mind because I just installed my new 8.8 in my TJ yesterday and had to worry with that, you could just need to bleed them more. And get rid of that stock 8.8 diff cover its the crutch to that axle, everything is super strong except that lol.
axle1.jpeg   axle2.jpeg  
skyjackedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
UrbanCowboy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04
I have put a lot of effort looking into this for my TJ. An axel will run you about 200 bucks. I don't think you will be able to find an 8.8 with 3.55 gears, so you will most likely have to regear either the front, if you have larger tires than stock, to match either the 3.73 or 4.10 stock gearing in the 8.8, or regear the 8.8 to match the 3.55 if you still run stock diameter tires.

If you want a headache free regear, than you will need the proper tools, case spreader and bearing pullers being at the top of that list.

Of course you will need a welder to weld on the previously mentioned bracket kit.

Everything else I think was covered by the other posts.

An axle swap is probably the most labor instensive job a DIY mechanic can do, but hey, if it's not gonna stop me, than it shouldn't stop you.
A lot of explorers come 3.55
UrbanCowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
MrKeebler26
1994 ZJ 

I got it all squatted away. Turns out that reconnecting the vacuum line to the MC will correct the problem... Yeah, I will own it. It was bone-headed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.